Instant Pot Cajun Sausage and Shrimp Pasta–a creamy sauce envelopes curly pasta, sliced sausage bites and tender shrimp. A recipe with amazing flavor that rivals anything you could order at a restaurant.
Instant Pot Cajun Sausage and Shrimp Pasta
I was too excited about this cajun pasta recipe to wait any longer to share it with you. It could possibly be the best pasta I’ve ever made. If you’re a fan of shrimp and cream cheese and general deliciousness you’ll love this dish.
When I left for an appointment yesterday my Instant Pot was practically full. When I got back it was half full. I asked my kids what happened to the food. Skyler sheepishly said, “Mom, I had 3 bowls.” Good thing he has the fastest metabolism of anyone I’ve ever met. I can’t say I really blame him. Every bite of this pasta is perfect.
I hope that you try out this recipe and agree with me. I cannot wait to have the leftovers tonight. I might not make it until tonight.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Pasta: I really love the shape and texture of cavatappi pasta. I buy mine at Winco in the bulk section or at Smith’s (Kroger) and it is their store brand. You can also use penne pasta for this recipe (and probably lots of other kinds of pasta).
Sausage: I used Hillshire Farm Roasted Garlic Chicken Smoked Sausage. This was very tasty. If you want your pasta to have a little more heat then use the andouille cajun sausage.
Mushrooms: I love mushrooms and had a handful left so I decided at the last minute to throw them in. I was so happy I did. They added one more awesome component to this recipe. I love the size and shape of mushrooms that are quartered so that’s what I did. This is also good because if you have mushroom haters in your family they can easily pick them out.
Fire roasted tomatoes: I used these tomatoes for a bit more flavor but you can also use regular diced tomatoes.
Shrimp: I found this bag of shrimp at Smith’s/Kroger and it was so perfect for this recipe! I didn’t have to peel the shrimp or devein it. I just threw the shrimp into the pot frozen. Look in the frozen section of your grocery store.
More Instant Pot creamy pasta recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cajun Sausage and Shrimp Pasta I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A creamy sauce envelopes curly pasta, sliced sausage bites and tender shrimp. A recipe with amazing flavor that rivals anything you could order at a restaurant.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13 oz) package andouille sausage or smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces (see note)
- 1–2 cups sliced or quartered mushrooms
- 1 pound uncooked cavatappi or penne pasta
- 1 Tbsp cajun seasoning
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 bell pepper, cored and thinly sliced (I used orange but green or red work too)
- 1 (12 oz) package frozen cooked shrimp–tail off, peeled and deveined (see note)
- 1 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- Saute: Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. Once the display says HOT add in the olive oil and swirl it around. Add in the onion and saute for 3-4 minutes. Then add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds. Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot.
- Layer in the pot evenly: sausage, mushrooms, pasta, cajun seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. Don’t stir.
- Pressure cook: Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up you can perform a quick release. If foam starts coming out of the pot then move the valve back to sealing and wait a few seconds and try again. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the cream cheese, peppers, and shrimp. Cover the pot again and let the hot pasta warm the shrimp through, cook the peppers and melt the cream cheese. Let the pot sit for about 5 minutes (just on the warm setting). Then open the pot and stir in the cream cheese until it is incorporated. Stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve the pasta and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
I used Hillshire Farm Roasted Garlic Chicken Smoked Sausage. This was very tasty. If you want your pasta to have a little more heat then use the andouille cajun sausage.
I found a bag of cooked and deveined shrimp at Smith’s/Kroger and it was so perfect for this recipe! Look in the frozen section of your grocery store.
Cajun seasonings vary from brand to brand. My Kroger store brand seasoning wasn’t very spicy. Others have stated that 1 Tbsp was way too spicy for them. You may want to start with less spice and then add more to taste.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Cajun
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.