Mac and cheese with sausage, bell peppers and hot sauce…and the best part is the topping of crispy hashbrowns.
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 2 cups water
- 8 oz macaroni noodles
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 1/4 cup Frank’s hot sauce
- 2 cups frozen hashbrowns
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the sausage and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Pour in water and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the macaroni in an even layer on top of the meat and water. Place butter on top.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and release pressure. If it starts spewing/foaming move the valve back to sealing for 20 seconds and try again. Remove lid.
- Stir well. Stir in the milk, 2 cups of cheddar, bell pepper and hot sauce.
- Sprinkle the hashbrowns on top. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on hashbrowns. Place the air fryer lid on top and set it to 400° F for 10 minutes. Add the remaining ½ cup of cheese on top and air fry for 1 more minute, or until cheese is melted.
- Scoop up and serve.
I used my 6 Quart Instant Pot Duo Crisp 11-in-1 Multi-Use Pressure Cooker and Air Fryer*
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid