Instant Pot Beef and Gravy—tender bites of beef with mushrooms served with a savory gravy. Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.
Instant Pot Beef and Gravy
Sometimes you just need some good old comfort food. This beef and gravy with mushrooms fits the bill. Especially when served with mashed potatoes. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out a way to make the mashed potatoes at the same time in the same pot. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that? I just ended up using my second Instant Pot for the potatoes. And that’s why second pots come in handy 🙂
This reminds me of a combination of beef stew and beef stroganoff. Just a good hearty meal. I loved the addition of mushrooms and would have preferred just a few more mushrooms in there!
If you really want to up the flavor you can brown the stew meat before pressure cooking it. I was in a hurry so I didn’t do this step. But by browning the beef it would add great flavor. You can do this before you add in the onions and mushrooms.
If you can’t find stew meat at your grocery store you can always buy a chuck roast instead. Just cut up the roast into bite size pieces. I like to cut my meat when it is partially frozen. It’s so much easier to cut. I throw the meat in the freezer when I get home from the store for an hour and then cut it up.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Beef and Gravy I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Tender bites of beef with mushrooms served with a savory gravy. Serve over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.
- 1 Tbsp butter
- ½ cup diced onion
- ½ pound sliced mushrooms (I used white button mushrooms)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce (plus more for serving)
- 1 ½ pounds beef stew meat (or a chuck roast cut into cubes)
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion and saute for about 2 minutes. Then add in the mushrooms and saute for about 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 20 seconds.
- Deglaze the pot with the beef broth. Add in the Worcestershire sauce, stew meat and salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When the time is up let the pot naturally release.
- Remove the lid. Turn the pot to the saute setting. Stir the cold water and cornstarch together in a small bowl until smooth. Add the mixture into the Instant Pot. The sauce will thicken quickly.
- Add extra Worcestershire sauce to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the beef and gravy over mashed potatoes, egg noodles or rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: use a gluten free Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.