Instant Pot Cheater Beef Stew–if you’re looking for the easiest beef stew recipe you may have found it! This recipe is made quickly in your Instant Pot and requires little to no prep and only 5 ingredients. No sauteing, chopping or browning. And best of all it tastes great!
Get the SLOW COOKER cheater beef stew recipe here
Instant Pot Cheater Beef Stew
I love stews and soups a lot! But they can take a while to make because of all the peeling and chopping of the vegetables. For this cheater beef stew I found a product that is a major time-saver. I found a bag of frozen stew vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions and celery) at my grocery store and decided to give them a shot. They worked really nicely in this stew. I will definitely use this time-saver again. Of course if you don’t want to buy frozen vegetables you can just cut up your own potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
I also decided to cheat on the browning step. I didn’t do it. I just threw the meat in raw. The meat still was very tasty and tender. Plus I used a package of stew meat instead of buying a roast and cut it up myself.
The third cheat on this recipe was using a packet of onion soup mix and brown gravy mix. No measuring of ingredients, just throwing it all in. Everything was seasoned nicely.
If you’re in a hurry but still want to have dinner on the table tonight this is a great recipe for you! Pick up some crusty bread to serve with it and you’re set.
More Instant Pot Beef Recipes…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheater Beef Stew I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
If you’re looking for the easiest beef stew recipe you may have found it! This recipe is made quickly in your Instant Pot and requires little to no prep and only 5 ingredients. No sauteing, chopping or browning. And best of all it tastes great!
- 1 ¾ cups water
- 1 ½ pounds beef stew meat
- 1 (1 oz) packet onion soup mix
- 3 Tbsp brown gravy mix
- 1 (24 oz) bag frozen stew vegetables (see note)
- Cornstarch (optional)
- Add water to the Instant Pot and then add in the stew meat. Sprinkle the onion soup mix and gravy mix over the top of the meat. Don’t stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes (on high pressure).
- When the time is up quick release the pressure by moving valve to venting. Remove the lid. Add in the frozen veggies on top of the meat. Don’t stir. Cover the pot and move valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. Once the pot is done cooking allow the pressure to release naturally for at least 10 minutes (longer if you have time). Move the valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Stir the stew. If you’d like it thicker then make a cornstarch slurry. Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. Add 2 Tbsp cornstarch to a small bowl and stir in 2 Tbsp cold water until smooth and creamy. Stir the mixture into the pot. Stew will thicken fairly quickly. Turn off saute setting and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can make this in your 8 quart pot with no changes. You can make this in your 3 quart pot increase the initial cooking time to 25 minutes.
Look by the frozen vegetables at your grocery store to find a bag of stew vegetables (potatoes, carrots, onions and celery). If you don’t want to buy frozen vegetables you can just cut up your own potatoes, carrots, celery and onions.
To make this recipe gluten free: use a gluten free brown gravy mix and a gluten free onion soup mix
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.