Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta—pasta, chicken, green beans and mushrooms are covered in a creamy, cheesy homemade sauce. An all-in-one-pot dinner that the whole family will love!
Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta
This cheesy chicken pasta an easy weeknight dinner idea that is super tasty! Chunks of chicken and fresh veggies add some extra nutrition to this pasta dish. This recipe makes a lot and can serve up to 8-10 people. The leftovers are really good and you can freeze them with good results.
Here are a few notes about the recipe:
I don’t like green beans or mushrooms can I use something else? Sure! Other ideas would be broccoli florets, asparagus, peppers and zucchini. Personally I would not pressure cook these other veggies because they will get too soft. You can steam them on the stove or in the microwave or even toss them into the pot raw and they’ll cook in a few minutes as the sauce thickens up.
Where do you find cavatappi pasta? I love this curly pasta. It comes out so well in the Instant Pot and doesn’t clump together like spaghetti and fettuccine sometimes does. I buy mine from Smith’s (Kroger) or in the bulk section of Winco for less than a dollar a pound!
I can’t find cavatappi pasta, can I use something else? Sure! This dish works well with penne pasta, rotini pasta or even elbow macaroni noodles.
What is half and half? Half and half is found in U.S. grocery stores next to the other dairy items. It is a mixture of cream and whole milk. If you want you can use heavy cream or whole milk instead of half and half. You could even use evaporated milk.
Can I use a different type of cheese? You totally can! I just used cheddar because that’s what I had. You can also use monterey jack, colby jack or even mozzarella cheese.
This recipe makes a lot, can I cut it in half? Yes you can. I always recommend that you read this article about how to halve recipes in the Instant Pot. It really is helpful to understand pressure cooking in general. The way that I would halve this recipe is halve all the ingredients and keep the pressure cooking time the same. There should be enough liquid in the recipe for the pot to come to pressure even if you cut it in half.
Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker? I wouldn’t recommend it. Pasta has mixed results in the slow cooker. A better bet would be to make this on the stove.
You might also like…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cheesy Chicken Pasta I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.
Pasta, chicken, green beans and mushrooms are covered in a creamy, cheesy homemade sauce. An all-in-one-pot dinner that the whole family will love!
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 ½ pound boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut into bite size pieces (you can also use cooked diced chicken)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 pound uncooked cavatappi pasta (you can also use penne, cellentani or rotini pasta)
- 3 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 12 oz fresh green beans, washed and trimmed and cut in half
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese (I like sharp for more flavor)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute button. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Then stir in the mushrooms, chicken, salt, chili powder, garlic powder and pepper. Turn off the saute setting.
- Add in the pasta and then pour in the chicken broth. Add the green beans on top of the pasta in an even layer.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When the time is up move the valve to venting. If foam starts coming out of the valve then move the valve back to sealing. Wait 20 seconds and try to move it to venting again. Once all the pressure is released remove the lid.
- Stir the half and half in with the cornstarch until smooth. Then turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir the half and half mixture into the pot. The sauce will thicken up fairly quickly. Then add in the grated cheddar cheese until melted (another option is to just add the cheese to the top of the pasta and let it melt instead of stirring it all together).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.