Instant Pot 6 Layer Dinner–a tasty and healthy dinner of rice, ground beef, celery, carrots, green pepper and tomatoes seasoned with Old Bay Seasoning.
Instant Pot 6 Layer Dinner
This is a great weeknight dinner that is an all in one pot meal with veggies, rice and meat. Each of the 6 layers are sprinkled with a bit of Old Bay Seasoning. How much or how little you use is up to you. If you don’t like Old Bay then try Cajun seasoning or seasoned salt instead.
What is Old Bay Seasoning? Each of the layers of this dish are seasoned with a sprinkling of Old Bay. Old Bay Seasoning is a blend of herbs and spices that include celery salt, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, and paprika. You can find the yellow and red metal container by the other seasonings at your grocery store. If you can’t find Old Bay then you can actually make your own.
What kind of rice? You can use long grain brown rice or long grain white rice for this recipe. I chose to increase the nutrition a bit by using long grain brown rice. Note the pressure cooking time difference in the recipe card.
What are fire roasted tomatoes? I love using fire roasted tomatoes to add a ton of flavor with zero work. According to Bon Appetit, “Fire-roasted tomatoes are exactly what they sound like: the tomatoes are charred over a flame before they’re diced and canned (sometimes, they’re also enhanced with onion and garlic powder). Often, you can actually see the blackened flecks on the tomatoes. Contact with the flame brings out the tomatoes’ sweetness and, most notably, imparts a distinct smokiness. Essentially, it’s a shortcut to more flavor.”
More Instant Pot Casserole Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
A tasty and healthy dinner of rice, ground beef, celery, carrots, green pepper and tomatoes seasoned with Old Bay Seasoning.
- 1 pound lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, sliced thinly
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 ½ cups chicken broth
- 1 cup long grain white or brown rice
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes
- Optional: mozzarella cheese, for serving
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Add in the beef and break it up. Add in the onions slices, garlic powder and salt. Brown the beef for about 4 minutes. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Pour in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Sprinkle a little Old Bay seasoning.
- Sprinkle the rice on top, don’t stir. Sprinkle a little Old Bay seasoning.
- Add the celery, carrots, green pepper and tomatoes (sprinkle in between each layer with Old Bay Seasoning).
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes for white rice or 22 minutes for brown rice. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. If there seems to be too much liquid in the pot then turn Instant Pot to sauté setting on less and let some of the liquid absorb for about 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle with a little mozzarella cheese, if desired. Scoop into serving dishes and enjoy. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.