Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Ground Beef Casserole–an easy ground beef and potato dinner with only a handful of ingredients!
Instant Pot 5-Ingredient Ground Beef Casserole
If we’re not counting salt and pepper (which I don’t because it’s something everyone has) this recipe only has 5 ingredients. Oh, and 2 bonus ingredients (which are optional but encouraged) will bump up the flavor to a new level. So technically it has 9 ingredients if you’re really a stickler. But 5 MAIN ingredients. Just don’t email me about it 🤣.
Start this recipe by browning a pound of ground beef using the sauté setting. While the ground beef is browning peel and cube some potatoes. After you deglaze the pot with beef broth. You’ll place a steamer basket full of the potatoes into the pot. The reason I use a steamer basket is because the potatoes retain a better texture than if they are thrown into the pot with everything else. If you don’t use a steamer basket the potatoes get a bit grainy. My favorite steamer basket is the Avokado silicone steamer basket*. If you don’t have a steamer basket you can try using a trivet to get the potatoes off the bottom of the pot.
After the potatoes are pressure cooked for 5 minutes, you’ll simply stir in sour cream, cheddar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder and salt and pepper. It comes together quickly and has good flavor that’s a tiny bit reminiscent of beef stroganoff. It’s one of those foods that certainly isn’t the prettiest but is super tasty. There were no leftovers at our house! I served this Instant Pot 5-ingredient ground beef casserole with fruit cocktail and a green salad.
More Ground Beef Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
An easy ground beef and potato dinner with only a handful of ingredients!
- 1 pound ground beef
- Salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth (or 1 1/2 cups water with 1 1/2 tsp beef bouillon base)
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup sour cream (or 1 can cream of mushroom soup)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Optional: 1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce and 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says hot add in the beef and break it up. Brown for about 5 minutes. Drain any excess grease. Lightly salt and pepper the meat. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add potatoes to a steamer basket and lower the basket into the pot on top of the meat and broth.
- Cover and lock lid into place. Set valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove lid. Potatoes should be soft when pierced with a fork.
- Dump the potatoes in with the meat. Stir in the sour cream, cheese and Worcestershire and garlic powder (if using). Salt and pepper to taste. Sauce thickens up as it sits. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.