Hoosier Chicken–strips of chicken rolled in crushed potato chips and air fried. The chicken turns out tender and flavorful and is quickly devoured!
Moist, heavenly chicken! The mayo and potato chip crumb coating helps to keep the moisture in. This chicken so delicious and tastes great with your favorite dipping sauce (like BBQ, ranch dressing, honey mustard or ketchup). Skyler came home and pretty much downed all of the chicken himself!
How come mayo? Fat helps to lock in moisture during the cooking process and prevents the chicken from drying out. The mayonnaise also acts as a barrier or insulation around the chicken, preventing the direct contact of the meat with the dry heat of the air fryer. The mayo adds a nice, rich flavor to the chicken. If you hate mayo you can try subbing with sour cream or full fat plain yogurt or even ranch dressing.
- Chili powder
- Lemon zest
- Black pepper
- Kosher salt
- Chicken breast–or chicken tenderloins
- Potato chips–I used Lay’s potato chips
In a bowl stir together mayo, chili powder, lemon zest, pepper and salt.
Dredge the chicken in the mayo mixture.
Roll the chicken in the potato chips.
Place the chicken in the air fryer (you may need to work in batches). Air fry for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Flip over and air fry for 5 more minutes.
Serve and enjoy (we liked ours with ketchup, barbecue sauce or chick-fil-a sauce).
- Serve with baked potatoes, rice pilaf or steamed or roasted vegetables.
- Because of the potato chip crust this chicken is best the day of. However you can store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. To reheat use the air fryer for 3 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Other recipes you can make with potato chips are Instant Pot Paula Deen’s Hash Brown Casserole and Instant Pot Secret Ingredient Casserole.
- I used my Instant Vortex 4-in-1 Air Fryer*. You can also make this in an Instant Pot using your air fryer lid*. If you don’t have an air fryer you can also bake this chicken in the oven. Sometimes I use a crisper tray* in the oven so that the air can circulate around the food and crisp it up.
- You can also cook this chicken in the oven. Place in a pan that has been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until chicken reaches 165° F.
- This recipe can be gluten free (just make sure your potato chips are marked as such).
- This recipe is adapted from Just a Pinch.
- I suggest cutting the chicken across the grain (as shown in the picture below). The chicken stays much more tender when you cut it this way. I love using my Victorinox knives*. They stay so sharp!
More Air Fryer Recipes…
Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken
Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken–a healthier, air fryer version of the classic spicy fried chicken you can order when you visit Tennessee. Pin this recipe for later! Air Fryer Nashville Hot Chicken Greg and I visited Nashville a few years ago and were instructed by a friend that we just had to visit a restaurant
Air Fryer Weeknight Meatballs
Use your air fryer or Instant Pot air fryer lid to make these super fast and easy meatballs!
Air Fryer Appalachian Mountain Chicken
An air fryer take on fried chicken…it’s crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It’s everything you want in your fried chicken with way less fat and calories.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Strips of chicken rolled in crushed potato chips and air fried. The chicken turns out tender and flavorful and is quickly devoured!
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 (12 oz) chicken breast, cut into strips (or 12 ounces chicken tenderloins)
- 1 cup crushed potato chips
- In a bowl stir together mayo, chili powder, lemon zest, pepper and salt.
- Dredge the chicken in the mayo mixture.
- Roll the chicken in the potato chips.
- Place the chicken in the air fryer (you may need to work in batches). Air fry for 5 minutes at 400 degrees. Flip over and air fry for 5 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy (we liked ours with ketchup, barbecue sauce or chick-fil-a sauce).
This recipe can easily be doubled but you’ll need to work in batches so that the chicken is not overlapping in the air fryer.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Air Fryer
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.