Air Fryer Appalachian Mountain Chicken–an air fryer take on fried chicken…it’s crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It’s everything you want in your fried chicken with way less fat and calories.
Air Fryer Appalachian Mountain Chicken
The air fryer was made for recipes like this one! Chicken drumsticks comes out with a crispy and browned outside and a tender inside. You’re going to love how you don’t have to deep fry the chicken to get that fried chicken taste. The chicken rub is slightly sweet with a little bit of heat. We all agreed that this was a “make again soon” recipe.
If you’d like to try this recipe with boneless chicken you totally can. White meat like boneless breasts won’t come out as tender and juicy but I’m sure they would still be good! I would suggest slicing the chicken breasts into cutlets so that they cook evenly. To make sure the chicken is cooked through you can use a digital thermometer to test for doneness. The middle part of the chicken should be 165 degrees.
- Chicken drumsticks
- Buttermilk–you can also use milk with some lemon juice or vinegar in it. Add 1 ½ teaspoons of lemon juice or vinegar to a liquid measuring cup. Then, add milk to the ½-cup line and stir.
- Brown sugar
- Dried oregano
- Cayenne pepper
- Garlic salt
- Kosher salt
- Cooking spray
Basic steps to make fried chicken in the air fryer…
- Dredge chicken in flour.
- Drench chicken in buttermilk/egg mixture.
- Dredge chicken in flour with seasonings.
- Spray chicken with non-stick cooking spray and place on rack in air fryer.
- Air fry for 10 minutes. Flip chicken over and air fry for 8 more minutes.
- Fried chicken tastes great with salad, corn and baked or mashed potatoes.
- I used my Instant Vortex Air Fryer*.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Reheat by placing in the air fryer for about 3-5 minutes at 400 degrees. The skin will crisp up and taste great!
- Other recipes you can make with buttermilk are Instant Pot Southern Meatloaf Casserole and Cafe Rio Tomatillo Salad Dressing.
7 air fryer recipes to try…
Air Fryer Sunday Dinner Chicken
Air Fryer Sunday Dinner Chicken–use your Instant Pot Duo Crisp or your air fryer to make flavorful, juicy, crisp-skinned chicken drumsticks or thighs. Pin this recipe for later! Air Fryer Sunday Dinner Chicken I recently got an Instant Pot Duo Crisp and Air Fryer*. It is an Instant Pot that has 2 lids. One for
Air Fryer Poor Man’s Steak
A hearty stuffed hamburger patty with cheese, bacon and pickled jalapenos cooked in your air fryer for ultimate convenience!
Air Fryer Heavenly Chicken
Sour cream coated chicken rolled in Ritz cracker crumbs and then cooked and crisped in an air fryer.
Keep a Man Chicken (Air Fryer or Oven)
Juicy, flavorful and tender chicken. Make this for your man or your woman and win their hearts forever!
Air Fryer Almost Chick Fil-A Chicken
Homemade chicken nuggets made in your air fryer. They are juicy and tender and really simple to make! They taste just as good as the restaurant.
Grandpa’s Firehouse Chicken
An easy 5 ingredient recipe for tender and moist, breaded chicken tenderloins. You can cook the chicken in the air fryer or the oven.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.Print
An air fryer take on fried chicken…it’s crispy on the outside and tender and juicy on the inside. It’s everything you want in your fried chicken with way less fat and calories.
- 6 chicken drumsticks
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Cooking spray
- Add flour to a pan (Use something with sides, good for dredging. I used a 9×13 inch pan).
- Add buttermilk and eggs to another pan and whisk until combined.
- In a small bowl stir together the brown sugar, oregano, cayenne, garlic salt and kosher salt. Set aside.
- Add the chicken into the flour and lightly dredge.
- Move the chicken into the buttermilk mixture and drench each piece of chicken.
- Stir the brown sugar seasoning mixture into the remaining flour in the pan.
- Shake off excess liquid on the chicken pieces and then move each piece back into the flour pan and dredge each piece of chicken in the flour/seasonings.
- Add the chicken into the air fryer in one layer on the rack. You may have to do this part in batches, depending on the size of your air fryer. I was able to do 4 pieces at a time.
- Spray the top of the chicken with cooking spray. Air fry for 10 minutes at 400 degrees. Flip the chicken with tongs and spray the other side with cooking spray. Air fry for 8 more minutes.
- Serve and enjoy! Reheat by air frying for a 3-4 minutes at 400 degrees.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Air Fryer
Get a daily Instant Pot recipe delivered to your email!
Stay in touch!
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.