A meatless, saucy, cajun seasoned dish that uses dried beans in the slow cooker or on the stovetop. A perfect dish for Mardi Gras.
- 1 (20 oz) package Hurst’s Cajun 15 Bean Soup with seasoning packet
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- Salt, to taste
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Hot cooked rice, for serving
- For cooking on the stovetop: Open package of beans and reserve seasoning packet for later. Rinse the beans. Place rinsed beans with 10 cups of water in a large pot on the stove over medium high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let simmer for about 90 minutes, or until beans are soft and tender. Stir every once in a while. For cooking in a slow cooker: reserve seasoning packet for later, allow the beans to soak overnight, or 8 hours. After soaking, drain the water. Place beans in large slow cooker with 10 cups of water. Cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until tender.
- Drain the beans of excess water. Place beans back in pot or in slow cooker. Add in tomato sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and dried parsley. Add in the seasoning packet. Stir. Add in salt to taste.
- Serve beans with a scoop of rice and cilantro.