Slow Cooker Polish Meatballs with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce—a creamy delectable mushroom sauce covers well seasoned and tender meatballs.
Related: INSTANT POT Polish Meatballs with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce recipe
Slow Cooker Polish Meatballs with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce
If you’re a fan of mushrooms you’re going to love this dish! I could have licked my plate to get all the sauce into my mouth. And the meatballs were seasoned well and tasted so flavorful.
I made 8 large meatballs out of 20 ounces of ground pork. You can make your meatballs half as large, if you want. The meatballs will cook a bit quicker the smaller they are. You can cook them for closer to 2 hours than 3 hours.
I used 20 ounces of ground pork for this recipe. But you can use half ground beef and half ground pork if you’d rather. I would also think that using half ground turkey or ground chicken would work very well also.
I served the meatballs and sauce over some leftover cooked red potatoes that I had in the fridge but you can serve over hot cooked eggs noodles or rice, if desired. If trying to cut carbs you can serve this over riced cauliflower.
What Equipment Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Polish Meatballs with Sour Cream Mushroom Sauce I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing the onions before you slow cook.
You’ll also love these slow cooker recipes…
Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken Rice Dinner—a simple chicken and rice dinner with carrots and spinach. It’s creamy but doesn’t have any “cream of” soups in it and takes just a few minutes to dump everything in and go.
Slow Cooker Dijon Chicken—tender bites of bone-in chicken thighs and mushrooms are covered in a dijon, lemon and tarragon sauce.
A creamy delectable mushroom sauce covers well seasoned and tender meatballs.
For the sauce:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 ½ Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp cold water
- Salt and pepper to taste
For the meatballs:
- 1 ¼ pounds (20 oz) ground pork
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp seasoned breadcrumbs
- 2 Tbsp milk
- Heat a pan over medium high heat and add in the butter and swirl it around until it is melted. Add in the onion and the mushrooms. Saute for 5 minutes. Add beef broth and worcestershire into the slow cook. Add onions/mushrooms into the slow cooker.
- While the onions are cooking prepare the meatballs. In a bowl use clean or gloved hands to mix the ground pork, onion powder, egg, salt, pepper, bread crumbs and milk. Form into meatballs, about ¼ cup each. Add the meatballs into the slow cooker.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 3-4 hours. Until meatballs are cooked through.
- Temper the sour cream by adding 1 Tbsp of the mushroom/broth at a time into the sour cream and whisking. Do a total of 4 Tbsp. Then pour the sour cream into the slow cooker. Thicken your sauce by turning your slow cooker to high and then stirring the cornstarch and water together until smooth. Stir the cornstarch slurry into the slow cooker. The sauce will thicken in about 10 minutes. Salt and pepper the sauce to taste.
- Serve the meatballs with sauce on top. You can serve with potatoes, noodles or rice, if desired.
You can do a combination of lean ground beef and lean ground pork instead of all pork if desired.
- Category: Pork
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Polish
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.