Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup–an easy version of a popular soup. A flavorful brothy soup with orzo and meatballs made in your slow cooker.
Get the INSTANT POT Italian Wedding Soup Recipe
Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup
After looking over several different recipes for Italian wedding soup I decided that my best bet was to make this as simple and easy as possible. I know that’s how I like most of my recipes to be. And I’m sure you’re the same. So I decided to go with frozen meatballs instead of making them from scratch.
I usually buy my frozen meatballs in a big bag from Costco. They are Italian style meatballs and are tasty and inexpensive.
I went with orzo for the pasta choice in this soup. I know others have used couscous, stars or acini de pepe. I usually have a few cups of orzo hanging in my pantry so that’s what I chose. Plus I like the shape and size of it for this soup. It’s not overbearing (like penne would be) but not so small either (couscous).
My family and I enjoyed this soup very much and I will be making it often. I bet you’ll like it too!
More slow cooker soup recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
To make Slow Cooker Italian Wedding Soup I used my Ninja Auto-iQ 6 Quart Slow Cooker.* My favorite feature of this slow cooker is that it has a stove top function. This is perfect for sauteing or browning before you slow cook. This slow cooker has four manual cooking functions: slow cook, stove top sear/Saute, steam, and bake.
An easy version of a popular soup. A flavorful brothy soup with orzo and meatballs made in your slow cooker.
- 1 small or medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, cut into ½ inch rounds
- 2 ribs of celery, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 pound frozen Italian-style meatballs
- 3 ½ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp onion soup mix
- 1 Tbsp ketchup
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- ¾ cup uncooked orzo pasta
- Optional: 2 cups chopped spinach or kale
- Add onion, carrots, celery, meatballs, chicken broth, beef broth, basil, garlic powder, onion soup mix, ketchup and thyme into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-7 hours.
- Add in the pasta and cover the slow cooker. Turn slow cooker to high. Let the pasta cook until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Add in spinach or kale, if desired. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Italian
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.