Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup–this is a thick and hearty version of creamy Greek avgolemono soup. It has tender bites of chicken, rice, carrots and of course fresh lemon juice. This soup has unbelievable flavor!
Get the INSTANT POT Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup recipe here
Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup
If you’re a fan of all things lemon you will love this soup! It is creamy and the lemon just gives the soup such a pop of flavor. I started with a small bowl and just kept going back for more helpings because it was so delicious! I added feta cheese to the top of my soup for a little more Greek flavor. Even though it was close to 85 degrees my family really enjoyed this soup!
More recipes you’ll love…
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this recipe I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.* I love this slow cooker. It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.Print
This is a thick and hearty version of creamy Greek avgolemono soup. It has tender bites of chicken, rice, carrots and of course fresh lemon juice. This soup has unbelievable flavor!
- 1 yellow or white onion, diced
- 6 cups chicken broth (or 6 cups water + 2 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base)
- 2 large carrots, cut into quarter inch slices
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup long grain white rice
- 2 chicken breasts (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 2 Tbsp butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 eggs
- Optional: feta cheese
- Add onion, broth, carrots, celery, salt, pepper, rice and chicken into the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Open the slow cooker and use tongs to remove chicken. Place the chicken on a cutting board and let rest.
- In a bowl whisk together the butter and flour until smooth. Ladle a cup of the soup into the flour/butter mixture and whisk until smooth. Ladle the mixture back into the slow cooker. This will help to thicken the soup.
- Add the lemon juice into the slow cooker.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs until frothy. Ladle a tablespoon of the hot soup into the eggs and whisk, then repeat the process a few times. This way the eggs won’t scramble. Add the entire mixture into the slow cooker and stir. This will make the soup creamy and thick.
- Shred the chicken* and add it to the pot.
- Turn the slow cooker to high and let the soup thicken for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve with feta, if desired.
I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker.*
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Greek
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 281
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 709 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Carbohydrates: 23 g
- Protein: 32 g
Keywords: soup, chicken
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Slow Cooker Greek Chicken Lemon Rice Soup? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.