Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Bean Soup–moist bites of chicken, tender chickpeas and white beans, carrots, celery and onions all cooked in a broth flavored with basil pesto.
I developed this recipe on behalf of USA Pulses and Pulse Canada as part of the Mom it Forward Influencer Network. Thanks so much for supporting my blog and its sponsors.
Slow Cooker Chicken Pesto Bean Soup
If you want to warm up with a comforting bowl of soup you may want to set aside the normal chicken noodle soup and go for this slow cooker chicken pesto bean soup instead. It’s loaded up with chickpeas and white beans and the broth is flavored with one of my favorite things in the entire food universe–pesto. It’s a broth-y soup that gets you excited.
I decided to use pulses in this soup instead of noodles because I really wanted to up the nutrition element. Pulses are delicious, protein-packed, sustainable foods known as dry peas, chickpeas, lentils and beans. They work so well in the slow cooker! I love pulses because they are very versatile and can be used in so many dishes. Plus pulses are such a cost-effective plan-protein. We could all benefit from eating more pulses in our diet.
Other similar recipes
If you’d like to include more healthy pulses in your diet. Make sure to visit PulsePledge.com for lots of great recipe ideas. Here are some of my favorite slow cooker pulses recipes:
What Slow Cooker Did You Use?
For this slow cooker pesto bean soup recipe I used my 6 quart oval Kitchenaid slow cooker. I love this slow cooker (you can see me talking about it in a video here). It cooks low and evenly. I love the medium heat choice because most slow cookers that I’ve seen only have the option of cooking on low or high. If you’re going to buy just one slow cooker, this is the one that I recommend.
Send Me Free Slow Cooker Recipes
Thanks for stopping by! Do you love crockpot recipes? Wish you had more good ones that your family would actually eat? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
Moist bites of chicken, tender chickpeas and white beans, carrots, celery and onions all cooked in a broth flavored with basil pesto.
- 1 (15 oz) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 oz) can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 lbs boneless, skinless chicken thighs or breasts
- 4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water and 4 tsp chicken bouillon)
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 cup basil pesto
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- Place beans, garbanzo beans, chicken, broth, carrot, celery, onion and garlic powder in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until chicken is tender. Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board. Cut the chicken into small bite-size pieces. Add chicken back into slow cooker.
- Add in pesto and stir.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each bowl with a tablespoon of Parmesan cheese.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!