This is a great overnight breakfast casserole recipe that is absolutely PERFECT for Christmas morning. Just make it sometime on Christmas Eve, refrigerate overnight and bake in the morning!
This is perfect for Christmas morning!
- 6-8 slices white bread (regular bread, French bread, whatever
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups medium or sharp cheddar, grated
- 2 cups pepperjack cheese, grated
- 1 lb ground pork sausage, browned and drained of extra grease*
- 1 (4 oz) can green chiles
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp dry mustard
- Remove the crusts of the bread and then butter one side of each slice of bread. Place bread with the butter side down in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Sprinkle grated cheese evenly over the top of the bread. Spread the browned sausage on top of that, and top with the green chiles.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the eggs and then add in the milk and seasonings. Whisk until well combined.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the sausage. Stir while pouring so that the seasonings are evenly distributed throughout the casserole.
- Cover well with plastic wrap or foil and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- In the morning preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Bake (uncovered) for 50-60 minutes. The center should be set and the edges will be brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
*You can use other kinds of meat, if you prefer. Bacon, ham, pastrami, shredded chicken…whatever!
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Oven