Calling all busy moms! Are you going to make it through spring sports season? At our house we are in the midst of baseball season where the games start at 5 pm or 6:30 pm…smack dab in the middle of dinner time. If you’re committed to feeding your family at home like I am, this can pose a challenge. Do you make dinner before the game and keep it warm in a slow cooker, oven or pressure cooker? Or do you make dinner after the game when everyone’s exhausted and starving? I’ll take the first choice. I like to prepare dinner either in the slow cooker or pressure cooker around 4 pm and then keep the food on the warm setting until we can get home and eat after our activities.
Today I’ll be sharing 5(!) ways to prepare macaroni and cheese in your Instant Pot which can easily be made ahead of time and served warm when you get home. Mac and cheese is a kid favorite and the recipe twists I’ll share with you today will keep adults interested as well.
The 5 ways that I’ll be sharing to make mac and cheese are…
1. basic mac
2. buffalo mac
3. bacon mac
4. pizza mac
5. cheeseburger mac
The cool thing is that they all start out with the same basic recipe. The basic recipe just calls for the pasta, evaporated milk, salt, butter, ground mustard and cheese. Then after you make the basic recipe you can spin it depending on what mood you’re in.
Here’s how to make the basic mac and cheese recipe:
Step 1—measure out 8 ounces of dry macaroni noodles. I used these twisty macaroni noodles to make it more fun. Place the noodles in your Instant Pot.
Step 2—Add in 2 cups of water, 1 tsp of kosher salt and 1 tsp of ground mustard and 1 tablespoon of butter. Then pressure cook for 3 minutes. After the 3 minutes are up let the pot sit for 5 more minutes and then release the rest of the pressure.
Step 3—Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Stir in the milk, and the cheese until creamy and smooth. If you want to make a variation of this recipe see below for instructions.
Creamy mac and cheese made quickly and easily in your Instant Pot!
- 8 oz uncooked elbow macaroni or cellentani noodles
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups water
- 6 oz evaporated milk (you can also use cream or half and half)
- 1 ½ cups grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Add noodles, butter, ground mustard, salt and water to Instant Pot. Cover and make sure valve is on “sealing.” Set the manual button for 3 minutes. Once the timer goes off let the pot sit for 5 minutes, then release the rest of the pressure by moving valve to “venting.”
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function. Stir in the evaporated milk and slowly add in the cheese while stirring constantly. In time, the sauce will thicken up and the macaroni will become coated with a creamy, cheesy sauce. Turn off the pressure cooker. Scoop macaroni into bowls and serve.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American