New Year’s Resolution Dish–turmeric and cumin spiced onions, cabbage, potatoes and carrots. A flavorful vegetable dish that is low calorie and perfect as a side dish to a grilled chicken breast or pork chop. Or throw in some sliced smoked sausage for an all-in-one-pot-meal.
Note: SLOW COOKER instructions are in the recipe card below
The Instant Pot Can Help You With Your New Year’s Goals
What is your new year’s resolution? I have a few goals I’m working towards in 2021. The most common new year’s resolutions that are made are:
- Exercise more
- Lose weight
- Get organized
- Learn a new skill or hobby
- Live life to the fullest
- Save more money / spend less money
- Quit smoking
- Spend more time with family and friends
- Travel more
- Read more
Here’s how the Instant Pot can help 8 out of 10 of these goals:
- Exercise more–one of the most common excuses for not exercising is lack of time. The Instant Pot saves you time by letting you cook in a hands-off, set it and forget it way. While the pot is coming to pressure (about 10 minutes) you can perform body weight squats, push-ups, lunges, jumping jacks, etc. Here is a 10 minute body weight only workout.
- Lose weight–check out my healthy Instant Pot recipes for dinner ideas that will keep you on track. I especially love my 10 Vegetable Soup!
- Get organized–while your pot is coming to pressure (about 10 minutes) just think how many drawers you can clean out and organize. I bet you can do your junk drawer in that amount of time. And maybe even your Tupperware drawer.
- Learn a new skill or hobby–learn how to us your new Instant Pot! It will enrich your life. Terry said, ““I’m new to IP cooking. I received a bum 6 quart IP as a Christmas gift but lucked out when I finally received an 8 quart to replace it! I now enjoy cooking again (WooHoo) and I am amazed at the length of time it takes to prepare a meal and how delicious they turn out!!! I used to cook once a week, if that. Now I do 2 -3 times but the most important point is is that I enjoy doing it!” Join the 365 Days FB Group to learn more and find friends who also enjoy your new hobby.
- Live life to the fullest–I’m not really sure what this means in context of the Instant Pot but I can definitely say that the Instant Pot has enriched my life by letting me make easy, delicious dinners for my family at the last minute.
- Save more money / spend less money–The cool thing about the Instant Pot is that there are a lot of great recipes out there that can be made in 30 minutes from start to finish. So even if you’re short on time you can still make dinner. By eating at home you’ll save money and the food will most likely be more healthy for you too. Plus any leftovers can be used for lunch the next day which will save you even more money! I always warm up the leftovers and send them with Skyler to school. We bought a thermos type of container from Walmart that keeps foods warm. And last year he had access to an outlet so I sent him with his food in a mini lunch crockpot*. If you choose to take a few minute once a week and plan out a menu and grocery list you’ll save even more money. By only buying the needed grocery items you’ll be buying and wasting less food.
- Quit smoking–???
- Spend more time with family and friends–as you get confident in your Instant Pot cooking skills you can gather your friends and family around a hot cooked meal and enjoy it together. There’s nothing like eating and talking and laughing together at the end of a day. That’s when the best conversations take place. Set the table, call everyone together and make dinnertime meaningful again.
- Travel more–??? Make recipes from other countries to make it feel like you’re traveling 😂
- Read more–You can listen to audio books while chopping the vegetables and prepping the dinner. I do this a lot! It’s so fun to cook with a good book in your ear. While the food is cooking in the pot I clean up the dishes anxious to hear what happens next in the book.
New Year’s Resolution Dish
Are you looking to eat more veggies is 2021? Eat healthier and lighter? This dish can help you achieve your new year’s goal.
Today’s dish is a mix of different Atkilt (Ethiopian cabbage and potato dish) recipes that I found online. It is free of dairy, egg, corn, soy, yeast, nut, gluten and grain…but not free of flavor. Atakilt Wat/ Atkilt wot is a cabbage side dish that is similar to Indian cabbage dishes. With only 140 calories per serving you will be pleased with how flavorful it is and how much it fills you up.
You can serve this as the main dish or as a side dish. I loved it with flat bread (I just bought naan bread but you can make your own). I also think this would be delightful with sliced smoked sausage thrown into the Instant Pot with everything else.
How can I lower the carbs? Instead of the 12 ounces of cubed potatoes use 12 ounces of cauliflower florets. It will still taste amazing. Total Carbohydrate 21.5g (with potatoes), Total Carbohydrate 15.4g (with cauliflower).
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Turmeric and cumin spiced onions, cabbage, potatoes and carrots.
- 2 Tbsp olive or canola oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups baby carrots (or sliced carrots)
- 4 small yellow potatoes (about 12 oz), cut into cubes
- 6 cups chopped cabbage
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp ground ginger
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and onions. Sauté onions for about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot. Layer the carrots, potatoes, cabbage and seasonings on top.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and then remove the lid.
- Stir. Scoop onto plates and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan over medium high heat. Add in the oil and onions. Sauté onions for about 3 minutes. Add in garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Transfer onions to slow cooker.
- Add in the broth, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and seasonings. Toss well.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir. Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
Order Your Copy Of The 365 Days Of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
The 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook is a recipe book with over 365 different easy and approachable electric pressure cooker (Instant Pot) dinner recipes. There’s also a chapter with breakfasts, appetizers and side dishes. The recipes in this book are generally fast, easy and approachable. Oh, and don’t forget DELICIOUS!
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.