Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup–thick and creamy, with loads of fall flavors. This healthy soup is made quickly in your electric pressure cooker. It tastes great served with crusty bread or a handful of garlic croutons.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash soup can be a little non-exciting. However this version is full of flavor and it has a bright orange color. With the addition of a few carrots and a granny smith apple there is a touch of sweetness. And the coconut milk gives it plenty of creaminess. I used full fat coconut milk, because that’s how I roll. But if you want you could use a lite coconut milk.
The hardest part of making this Instant Pot Vegan Butternut Squash Soup is preparing the butternut squash. If you want you can buy cubed butternut squash at the store. I have seen that at Costco before in the refrigerated section next to the salads. I bought a medium sized squash at the store and then I peeled it. I used a vegetable peeler to peel the outside skin off. Then I cut the neck of the squash off and finally I cut the round bottom part of the squash in half. At this point I had two halves of squash with seeds. I used a large spoon to scrape out the seeds and gunk and then I used my knife to cut the de-seeded squash into cubes.
You don’t need to worry about the squash, carrots, onions or apples being uniform in cut or size since you’ll just puree them anyway. I used my immersion blender* to easily puree the soup in minutes. It was so easy! If you’re not worried about the soup being vegan you can substitute the coconut milk with heavy cream. You could also add bacon bits on top of the soup. If you want to make the soup go a little farther you can add cooked pasta, like ditalini or orzo to each bowl. Yum!
More meatless Instant Pot recipes
Instant Pot spaghetti squash–fast and easy way to cook spaghetti squash
Instant Pot feta dill sweet potato mash–creamy mashed sweet potatoes made with garlic, feta and dill
Instant Pot white bean garlic hummus–dried white beans are cooked and then pureed with fresh lemon juice, garlic and olive oil
Instant Pot hummus without tahini–this recipe has simple ingredients, like olive oil, garlic and lemon juice, that you probably already have on hand.
Instant Pot vegan sloppy joes from Eat Within Your Means
Instant Pot golden lentil spinach soup from Kitchen Treaty
Instant Pot vegetarian quinoa chili from Peas and Crayons
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot vegan butternut squash soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker.* They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
Thick and creamy, with loads of fall flavors. This healthy soup is made quickly in your electric pressure cooker. It tastes great served with crusty bread or a handful of garlic croutons.
- 1 medium butternut squash
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 lb carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and sliced
- 2 (14 oz) cans vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried ground sage
- 1 (13.5 oz) can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Peel the squash and cut the neck off. Cut the round bottom section in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds. Cut the squash into chunks and add to the Instant Pot.
- Add in the onion, carrots, apple, broth, bay leaf, salt, pepper and sage.
- Secure the lid on the pot. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Set the manual pressure cook button to 8 minutes. When the timer beeps perform a quick release by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Remove the lid and discard the bay leaf. Add in the coconut milk. Use an immersion blender to puree the contents in the pot. You can also puree the soup in batches in a regular blender.
- Salt and pepper the soup to taste. Serve the soup topped with croutons or alongside fresh baked bread.
You can also make this recipe in the slow cooker.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Serving Size: 1 cup of soup
- Calories: 144
- Sugar: 6 grams
- Sodium: 74 mg
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Send Me Free Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below. This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.