Instant Pot Totcho Casserole–-tater tots meet nachos in this crowd-pleasing casserole. With layers of ground beef, fire roasted tomatoes, refried beans, cheese, tater tots and delicious toppings what is there not to love?
Instant Pot Totcho Casserole
Never hear of totchos? Me either until a few days ago. Greg showed me a recipe for totchos and I was intrigued. A mash up of tots and nachos sounded interesting but did it sound good? I wasn’t entirely sure. That fear was put to rest the minute I had my first bite of dinner. This Instant Pot totcho casserole was so good! I ate a huge plate and so did everyone else in my family!
The tots are added after pressure cooking and crisped up with your air fryer lid*. If you don’t have an air fryer lid just cook the tots in the oven according to package directions and pile them on top.
Related: Instant Pot Tater Tot Casserole
What toppings are good on totchos?
- My favorite are the Mezzetta Deli-Sliced Tamed Jalapeno Peppers that you can find by the pickles. They give a little burst of flavor but aren’t super spicy
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- Extra cheese (any kind!)
- Sliced olives
- Diced tomatoes
- Pico de gallo or salsa
- Diced green onions
- Guacamole or avocado
- Shredded lettuce
- Red onions
You’ll also like…
Instant Pot Friendship Casserole
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Instant Pot Totcho Casserole
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
Tater tots meet nachos in this crowd-pleasing casserole. With layers of ground beef, fire roasted tomatoes, refried beans, cheese, tater tots and delicious toppings what is there not to love?
- 1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onions
- 1 small jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup beef or chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 (16 oz) can refried beans
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 pound frozen tater tots
- Optional toppings: pickled jalapenos, sliced olives, sliced green onions, sour cream, salsa
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting (more). When displays says HOT add in the ground beef, onions, jalapenos and taco seasoning. Break up the beef and brown for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Dump in the tomatoes on top and then scoop the refried beans onto the top. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir. Sprinkle half of the cheese on top. Then add the tater tots on top in one layer.
- Use your Mealthy crisplid or Air fryer lid to crisp and cook the tots for 400 F for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top and cook for another 2 minutes until melted.
- Scoop onto plates and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
I was wondering if there was a way to do this in the crock pot or even the oven? It looks really good.
I would do it in the oven. Here’s how:
1 pound lean or extra lean ground beef
1 cup diced onions
1 small jalapeno, finely diced
3 Tbsp taco seasoning
1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can refried beans
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
1 pound frozen tater tots
1. Saute onion and brown ground beef on stove. Stir in the jalapeno and taco seasoning. Pour in the tomatoes and then stir in the refried beans.
2. Pour into a 9×13 inch dish and shred out. Sprinkle with cheese and tots.
3. Bake for 45-55 minutes at 350.
This ended up really soupy for me…. anything I can do different?
After food has pressure cooked I would stir in 2-3 Tbsp of instant potato flakes. This will thicken things up nicely.
Donna Warner says
Can’t wait to try this recipe, it is gluten free so I know my husband can eat it. We have loved all of the recipes I get from you. Thank you so much for the help you have given me with my IP.
You’re so welcome Donna!
If I don’t want to invest in the air fryer lid, can I just make the Tatar Tots in the oven and then add them in?
I was coming to the comments to ask the same! Looks like Karen hasn’t answered yet, but I’m thinking I will do them in my air fryer and then toss them on with some cheese and let it get melty. I think it will turn out just fine 🙂
If you don’t have an air fryer lid just cook the tots in the oven according to package directions and pile them on top.
I can’t wait to try this. Just bought a new IP with an air fryer lid but have not used it yet. Time to have an unboxing!
I knew this was a winner when I first saw it. I made it immediately and I was right it is great. I left the taters under the lid a bit longer to get them browner. Topped with sour cream and enjoyed a great meal.
So glad you tried it and liked it Judy!
I’m like you Karen – not too sure about this one. But as all your recipes I’ve tried have been 5-star+++, this one should be too! Don’t have all the ingredients, so will try this one next grocery trip. Will halve for 3-qt pot-in-pot, I think, then crisp it up in the 6-qt with mealthy lid. This looks delish – can’t wait to try, thanks!
Good plan. I think you will really like it Jan!