Instant Pot “Stole My Boyfriend” Tetrazzini–the best chicken tetrazzini! It’s got the most flavorful creamy sauce (without cream of soups), spaghetti, chicken and mushrooms. Make it with your Instant Pot!
Instant Pot “Stole My Boyfriend” Tetrazzini
There is this silly Maury episode where Maury had an upset guest who said that her best friend was stealing her boyfriend by making Chicken Tetrazzini. She didn’t know what was going on but all her boyfriend could talk about was this Chicken Tetrazzini. Haha!!! Well I’m not suggesting stealing someone else’s boyfriend but you may want to learn to make this amazing chicken tetrazzini recipe before someone else steals your boyfriend.
I could also call this “cheat on your diet chicken tetrazzini” because it was so good that it even convinced Greg to break his streak of eating super healthy. And he is hard to break. Once he decides to do something he is all in. Well he said to me, “I don’t even care anymore! I am eating this!” He said it was “soooo good.” And my son who came home after hiking 3 miles, going to school and going to track practice (another 4 miles) came home to express the same sentiments. Even I, who had been snacking all day (as per usual), loved this chicken tetrazzini so much that I had two servings. Bottom line: this is a winning comfort food dinner and I know you’re going to love it. Scroll all the way down for the recipe instructions.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts–or thighs (or a combination)
- Salt–I use kosher salt
- Pepper–or white pepper
- Italian seasoning–or make your own
- Poultry seasoning–or make your own
- Garlic powder–or granulated garlic
- Smoked paprika–it’s the best! I get it in bulk section at Winco for pennies.
- Minced dried onion–I buy in a big container at Costco
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Spaghetti–I used thin, whole wheat spaghetti noodles
- Mushrooms–or jarred or canned mushrooms
- Cream cheese–or you can use cream of chicken soup, cream of mushhrom soup or sour cream
- Cheddar cheese–or another type of cheese you love (mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, pepper jack, colby, etc)
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. But this recipe can also be made in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
How to make the best chicken tetrazzini in the Instant Pot
- Season the chicken well: by using lots of seasoning on the chicken you will make sure that you start with a base of good flavor. You’ll use salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, smoked paprika and minced dry onion. Stir to coat the chicken on both sides in the seasonings.
- Pressure cook the chicken: We will cook the chicken first before adding in the other ingredients. This made the chicken super tender and delicious. After the chicken is cooked you will chop it up on a cutting board. For this recipe I prefer chopped chicken over shredded chicken.
- Cook pasta and mushrooms: You’ll add the pasta into the same liquid that is in the pot from when you cooked the chicken. I like to break the spaghetti in half and layer it in a criss-cross pattern so that it doesn’t stick together. Cover the spaghetti with the chopped chicken and the mushrooms (this also helps the spaghetti cook evenly.) Finally add the cream cheese on top. I just added it in one block right on top. It gets all soft and melty and will stir in perfectly.
- Pressure cook the pasta: the pasta cooks in just 5 minutes and the pot will come to pressure quickly because the liquid inside is already hot.
- Serve: Stir well. Stir in the cheese. Serve and enjoy!
Like the baked taste better?
If you want more of a baked spaghetti taste I suggest following the Instant Pot recipe and then scraping the spaghetti chicken mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish and sprinkle with cheese. Cover with foil. Bake in the oven at 350° F for 20 minutes and remove foil and bake for 10 more minutes.
When I was growing up my mom always added a cup of diced celery into her tetrazzini. You can add celery in with the mushrooms, if you’d like. For ultimate flavor you will want to sauté the celery in some melted butter before adding it in.
What if I want to use cooked chicken?
You can do that! Use cooked rotisserie chicken if you’d like. Add 2 cups of broth to the Instant Pot and follow step 4 in the recipe card below. I would also add the seasonings on top of the cooked chicken for ultimate flavor.
Can I use another type of pasta?
You can use elbow macaroni, cavatappi, bowties, small shells, rotini (3 minute pressure cook time), egg noodles (2 minute pressure cook time). You can also use fettuccine or linguine (6 minute pressure cook time).
Can I cook everything at the same time?
The way the recipe is written will achieve the best taste and texture. However you can also cut up your raw chicken into bite-size pieces and then add in the broth, spaghetti, mushrooms, cream cheese etc. and pressure cook for 5 minutes. The chicken won’t be as tender but this is a short cut version.
Can I freeze the leftovers?
Yes you can. Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months.
More Amazing Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
- Instant Pot Amish Chicken Noodle Casserole
- Instant Pot Christmas Confetti Pasta
- Instant Pot Cheesecake Factory Louisiana Chicken
- Instant Pot Potsticker Bowls
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
The best chicken tetrazzini! It’s got the most flavorful creamy sauce (with no cream of soups), spaghetti, chicken and mushrooms. Make it with your Instant Pot!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts or thighs (or a combination)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp minced dried onion
- 2 cups broth
- 8 ounces spaghetti (I used thin, whole wheat spaghetti)
- 8 ounces chopped mushrooms
- 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Add chicken into Instant Pot. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning, garlic powder, paprika and onion. Stir to coat the chicken on both sides in the seasonings. Pour in the broth.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place chicken on a cutting board and chop.
- Break up the spaghetti and add it into the Instant Pot in a criss cross pattern. Cover the spaghetti with the chicken and the mushrooms. Finally add the cream cheese on top.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Stir in the cheese. Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.