Instant Pot Southern Sawmill Sausage Gravy–the easiest way to make a big batch of rich and flavorful sausage gravy to serve over warm cooked biscuits!
Instant Pot Southern Sawmill Sausage Gravy
There’s nothing like a good hearty breakfast. And at the top of my list is biscuits and gravy. It’s good southern dish that will have you full to late afternoon. This version of sausage gravy is super fast because you don’t even have to brown the sausage if you don’t want to.
While the gravy is pressure cooking you can throw some biscuits in the oven. They get done at pretty much the exact same time. The gravy is easy to double for a crowd. You can use the keep warm setting so the gravy stays at-the-ready as late risers mosey on over to the breakfast table.
Sometimes I even make biscuits and gravy for dinner. If you’re not a breakfast person then this is a perfect solution for you. You can still eat delicious breakfast foods but just at later time of the day.
- Serve over hot cooked biscuits. Sometimes I make my own from scratch but more often than not I just buy a package of Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits and bake them while the Instant Pot is coming to pressure.
- I used my 3 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 6 or 8 quart pot. This recipe is easy to double or to halve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Make sure to use a mesh strainer* or a sifter for the flour so you don’t get lumps in your gravy! Slowly shake the sifted flour into the pot and whisk as you go. I love using a little whisk*.
More Breakfast Recipes…
- Instant Pot Father’s Day Casserole
- Instant Pot Cheesy Bacon Breakfast Potatoes
- Instant Pot Christmas Morning Breakfast Casserole
- Instant Pot Pumpkin French Toast Casserole
- Instant Pot Pancake Casserole
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
The easiest way to make a big batch of rich and flavorful sausage gravy to serve over warm cooked biscuits!
- 1 (16 oz) package Jimmy Dean Premium Pork Regular Sausage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups milk (whole milk is amazing)
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Dash of hot sauce
- Fresh cracked pepper and kosher salt, to taste
- Add sausage to Instant Pot and break it up. Add in the onion powder, garlic powder and broth.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting to release the pressure. Remove the lid. Break up the sausage into smaller pieces with a spoon.
- Pour the milk in a large glass measuring cup and warm in the microwave for 2 minutes.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting on low. Pour the flour into a mesh strainer and shake over the Instant Pot. Whisk well as you use the other hand to shake the flour through the strainer. As the mixture thickens pour in the milk and whisk. Simmer until gravy has thickened.
- Turn off sauté setting. Stir in the butter, hot sauce and pepper and salt.
- Serve gravy over warm biscuits.
You can brown the sausage for more flavor and texture if you’d like. Just use the sauté setting and brown for about 5 minutes. Make sure to scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Instant Pot
Get a daily Instant Pot recipe delivered to your email!
Stay in touch!
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.