Instant Pot Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup–a healthier version of a very popular soup. Because the base of the soup is made of yellow potatoes instead of butter, flour and cream this soup is gluten free and lighter than it’s original counterpart.
Get the SLOW COOKER version of the recipe here
Instant Pot Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup
Sometimes I just want a bowl of thick and creamy soup. But I don’t want all the calories that come from a regular cream-based soup that has lots of butter, flour and cream in it. Enter into the picture this instant pot skinny broccoli cheddar soup. It is a perfect lunch on a cold day. It warms you up and gives you nutrition too. By using pureed yellow potatoes as the base of the soup we are able to save calories and have a thick and creamy soup.
More healthy Instant Pot recipes
Instant Pot Feta Dill Sweet Potato Mash–perfect side dish for Thanksgiving!
Instant Pot Spaghetti Squash–my favorite way to eat low cal “noodles”
Instant Pot Greek Yogurt–I’m totally addicted to this yogurt. I eat it everyday for breakfast with banana and granola.
Pressure Cooker Vegan Chili from Eat Within Your Means
Healthy Instant Pot Beef Stew from Slender Kitchen
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker. They are both great pressure cookers! The first one I mentioned has a yogurt making function but other than that they are fairly similar. The price difference between the two is about $20.Print
A healthier version of a very popular soup. Because the base of the soup is made of yellow potatoes instead of butter, flour and cream this soup is gluten free and lighter than it’s original counterpart.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, diced
- 2 green onions, green and white parts all diced up
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 lb yellow potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes (I used 3 medium potatoes)
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 (16 oz) package frozen broccoli
- 2 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup milk or half and half (plus more, if needed)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute function (the highest setting) and melt the butter. When butter is melted add in the diced onion and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the green onions and garlic and saute for another minute. Turn off the saute function.
- Add in the broth, potatoes, thyme, salt and pepper. Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to “sealing.” Press the manual pressure cook button (high pressure) and set the timer to 5 minutes. When the timer beeps do a quick release by moving the valve to “venting.”
- Open the package of broccoli and place the contents in a colander. Run hot water over the broccoli for a minute. Open the lid of the pressure cooker and carefully pour the contents into a blender (or you can use an immersion blender). Puree until smooth (vent the lid). Pour in 3/4 the package of frozen broccoli. Pulse 3-4 times until you get the soup to your desired consistency.
- Pour contents of blender back into the Instant Pot. Add in the grated cheddar, the milk and
the rest of the broccoli florets. Add in more milk, if needed to achieve desired thickness. Salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and serve.
To make Instant Pot Skinny Broccoli Cheddar Soup I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1. I also own the 6 quart Instant Pot IP-LUX60 V3 Programmable Electric Pressure Cooker.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Calories: 198
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Sodium: 459 mg
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 24 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
Send Me Recipes
Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
This is a free service! Try it out. You’ll eat better and be more inspired to make family dinner happen at your house.
This post contains affiliate links for Amazon. Each time you purchase something from Amazon that I’ve linked to I get a few pennies. Thanks so much for supporting my blog!