I wanted a lot of broccoli flavor so I used an entire pound of frozen broccoli florets. By using frozen broccoli that was already cut into florets and frozen at the peak of freshness I saved time and ensured uniformity and quality in the soup. I also wanted the cheddar taste without a lot of calories so I went with an extra sharp cheddar. This gave the soup the flavor it needed and I only used 2 ounces of cheese. Of course you could double that amount and it would probably be even better but if you’re trying to go the healthier route just stick with 2 ounces. I ended up using half and half but I totally think that using milk would be fine too.
I hope you love this soup as much as I did!Print
A slow cooker and healthier version of a very popular soup–Broccoli Cheddar Soup. Because the base of the soup is made of yellow butter potatoes instead of butter, flour and cream this soup is gluten free and lighter than it’s original counterpart. However, it doesn’t taste light at all–it tastes creamy and indulgent.
- 1 lb yellow butter potatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth (or veggie broth)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp olive or canola oil
- 2 green onions (green and white parts all diced up)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 lb frozen broccoli florets, thawed (I just kept them on my counter all morning)
- 2 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, grated (using extra sharp will give ultimate flavor so you don’t have to use as much)
- 1/2 cup half and half (you can also use fat free half and half or even milk)
- Combine diced onion, oil, green onions, garlic and thyme in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave of high for 5 minutes, stirring every 90 seconds or so. The onions will soften and be almost sauteed. Add the mixture into the slow cooker.
- While onions are cooking, peel and diced the butter potatoes. Using these specific potatoes will give a nice buttery flavor to the soup. Add the potatoes and the broth to the slow cooker.
- Add in salt and pepper to the slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker and cook on LOW for about 5-6 hours or on HIGH for about 3-4 hours. The potatoes should be very tender.
- Carefully pour the contents of the slow cooker into a blender. Puree until smooth. Pour in 3/4 the
package of frozen broccoli. Pulse 3-4 times until you get the soup to your desired consistency.
- Pour contents of blender back into the slow cooker. Add in the grated cheddar, the half and half and the rest of the broccoli florets. Salt and pepper to taste (I added in another 1/4 tsp of salt).
- Turn to high, stir and let it heat a few minutes and then serve.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Category: Soup
- Method: Slow Cooker