Instant Pot Shipwreck Soup–a throw-everything-into-the-pot type of soup that turns out so yummy! This vintage soup recipe can be made in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot.
Note: the SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Shipwreck Soup
Shipwreck Soup is one of those old fashioned recipes you can find in your mother’s church cookbook. It is full of ground beef, potatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery and kidney beans. One of the things I love most about this recipe is how easy it is to switch up what you put in it! It’s a great way to use up some of those odds and ends vegetables and pantry items that you might have. You can easily switch up the spices too. It’s really great the way I wrote the recipe but I can see it being a jumping off point for many other tangential soups too.
- I used dark red kidney beans but other choices are black beans, pinto beans, chili beans, white cannellini beans, chickpeas etc.
- Russet potatoes can easily be switched up for yellow or red potatoes.
- Diced onion can be swapped with 2 Tbsp dehydrated onion flakes.
- Taco seasoning can come in different potency levels. Mine is strong so I used only 2 Tbsp. Other brands are not so strong and you may need to add in 3 Tbsp. Just season to your own personal preference.
- Campbell’s tomato soup is something I usually have in my pantry but you could also try adding in a can of crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce.
- Try topping this recipe with some grated cheese. My son suggested that it might be tasty with Fritos on top.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. But you can also make this in your 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- By using the SOUP button on your Instant Pot the soup won’t heavily boil and the broth won’t become cloudy. If you don’t have a soup button just use the normal pressure cook button.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Instant Pot Shipwreck Casserole—a compilation of random ingredients like ground beef, cabbage, potatoes and carrots that ends up tasting really amazing together! Try this easy Instant Pot recipe for dinner tonight!
Instant Pot Train Wreck Dinner–a throw everything into the pot type of dinner that comes out tasting amazing! You’re going to love the tender potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms and sausage sprinkled with cheese.
Instant Pot Cowboy Soup–a hearty, healthy soup with ground beef, chili beans and vegetables.
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A throw-everything-into-the-pot type of soup that turns out so yummy! This vintage soup recipe can be made in the slow cooker or the Instant Pot.
- 1 pound ground beef or ground turkey
- 1 cup diced onion
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 1/2 cups beef or chicken broth
- 3 small to medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (10.5 oz) can Campbell’s Tomato Soup
- Salt and pepper to taste
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the beef and break it up. Add in the diced onion. Brown for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp of the taco seasoning. Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the remaining taco seasoning, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, beans and tomato soup (don’t stir).
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the SOUP button to 5 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir well. Taste test and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Heat a pan on the stove over medium high heat. Add in the ground beef and break it up. Add in the onions. Brown for about 5 minutes. Stir in 1 Tbsp of the taco seasoning. Add to the slow cooker.
- Stir the broth, remaining taco seasoning, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, beans and tomato soup into the slow cooker.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours, or until potatoes are tender.
- Taste test and add salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot or Slow Cooker
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.