Better than Chinese takeout! Saucy tender bites of beef with a savory and sweet sauce sprinkled with sesame seeds and scallions.
- 1 Tbsp canola or vegetable oil
- 2 ½ pounds beef chuck steaks, sliced across the grain into ½ inch thin strips
- ½ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced ginger
- 2 Tbsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- ½ tsp sesame oil
- 2 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp cold water
- Sesame seeds and sliced scallions or green onions, for topping
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Working in batches place the beef strips into the pot in one single layer. Sear the meat on each side for about 1 minute each. Move the beef to a plate. Turn off the saute setting.
- In a bowl whisk together the soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, pepper and broth. Pour the mixture into the Instant Pot and scrape any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Add the beef back into the pot. Stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 20 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10-15 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir in the sesame oil and rice vinegar. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. In a small bowl stir together 3 Tbsp of cornstarch with 3-4 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up the sauce quickly.
- Once the sauce it thickened turn off the Instant Pot. Serve beef topped with sesame seeds and scallions. This beef and sauce is perfect served over rice with a side of steamed broccoli.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free use gluten free Tamari sauce instead of soy sauce.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese