Instant Pot Karen’s Killer Chicken–tender chicken thighs with an addicting sauce drizzled over the top, bacon and cheddar. It’s sure to become a family favorite. This recipe is keto friendly!
Instant Pot Karen’s Killer Chicken
I’ve been making iterations of this recipe for years. We didn’t have a name for it so Greg suggested Karen’s Killer Chicken. After all, if Dave can have Dave’s Killer Bread I can have Karen’s Killer Chicken. Although, maybe it should be Greg’s Killer Chicken because I think he makes it more than me! We love it and eat it often when we have company over. Sometimes we make the chicken on the grill but this version of the recipe is cooked in the Instant Pot, of course. I think you should put it on your menu this week!
Some notes about the recipe:
- The chicken shrinks down a lot. So even though it seems like a lot of chicken just realize it’s not as much as you think!
- The sauce is so tasty and should not be skipped! Try dipping tortilla chips in the sauce…then try to stop, I dare you!
- For sake of ease I used bacon crumbles from the big Costco bag. If you want you can cook up some bacon and crumble it yourself.
- We love moist, tender chicken thighs. If you prefer you can use chicken tenderloins instead. For chicken tenderloins you’ll only need to pressure cook for 5 minutes. Large chicken breasts don’t do as well because they are so thick. If you do want to use chicken breasts I suggest cutting them across the grain into the size of chicken tenders and pressure cooking for 5 minutes.
- If you’d rather use an air fryer lid to do the melting of the cheese than your oven’s broiler you can. Just dump out the liquid remaining in your Instant Pot first.
- This recipe is low carb. Serve with cauliflower rice if you’re trying to eat keto-friendly. Or if you aren’t then serve with mashed potatoes.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 ½ Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp Montreal steak or chicken seasoning
- 2 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of excess fat
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons Pace Picante Sauce (mild)
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon hot sauce, of choice
- ⅛ teaspoon dried dill weed
- ⅛ teaspoon cumin
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ½ cup bacon crumbles
- Pour chicken broth into Instant Pot. Place chicken into Instant pot and pour the soy sauce and steak seasoning over the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 12 minutes for fresh or frozen chicken. When time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting to release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Make the sauce by stirring together mayo, sour cream, picante sauce, cajun seasoning, parsley, hot sauce, dill and cumin.
- Use tongs to place the chicken on a baking sheet. You can discard the liquid in the Instant Pot. Spoon about a tablespoon or two of sauce over each piece of chicken. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp or cheese and 2 Tbsp of bacon over each piece of chicken. Place under the oven’s broiler for 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately.
You can also make this recipe with chicken tenderloins in the place of chicken thighs. Pressure cook for 5 minutes with a 10 minute natural pressure release.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.