Instant Pot Italian Bake–smoked sausage, pasta sauce and cottage or ricotta cheese are topped with a fluffy biscuit and parmesan cheese layer. An easy and fun recipe that your whole family will enjoy!
Instant Pot Italian Bake
If you’re a fan of lasagna you’re going to like this Instant Pot Italian Bake. It has flavors from lasagna but without the noodles. In place of the noodles there is a fun crust made of a biscuit dough and parmesan cheese. The crust is crisped up with your air fryer lid or your oven.
This recipe came together quickly and although it has a longer pressure cooking time than many Instant Pot recipes (because of the pot-in-pot method) it gave me time to pick up my daughter from work and sweep up the kitchen in the meantime.
For the meat portion of this recipe I used beef smoked sausage (I think it was Hillshire Farm). But alternately you could use ground Italian sausage that has been browned and drained. You could also use ground beef or ground turkey that has been seasoned well (I like to use this).
The dairy portion of the recipe is also very versatile. You can use cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, sour cream, whipped cream cheese or a combination of any of those products.
What Equipment Did You Use?
- Instant Pot: I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Mealthy CrispLid, or you can use a Ninja Foodi* or the Instant Pot Air Fryer Lid*
- Pan for pot in pot cooking. I use the 3 quart liner* inside the 6 quart liner for pot in pot cooking. Fat Daddios* is also a good choice.
- Pastry Blender* for cutting in the shortening
More Instant Pot Recipes You’ll Love…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Smoked sausage, pasta sauce and cottage or ricotta cheese are topped with a fluffy biscuit and parmesan cheese layer. An easy and fun recipe that your whole family will enjoy!
- 1 (12 oz) package smoked sausage, sliced into quarter inch rounds
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup cottage cheese (or ricotta cheese or sour cream)
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp shortening or butter
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- Pour 1 cup water into the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- In an oven safe dish that fits in your Instant Pot (like this one*) add the sausage into the bottom. Then layer the spaghetti sauce, cottage cheese and Italian seasoning on top.
- In a medium mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, salt and shortening. Cut the shortening in with a pastry blender*. Then stir in the milk and parmesan cheese.
- With a spoon scoop the mixture over the top and use a butter knife to spread it smooth.
- Cover the pan with foil. Place the pan on top of a sling/trivet* and lower the dish into the Instant Pot.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 30 minutes. When time is up perform a quick release. Remove the lid.
- Remove the foil. Use your air fryer lid to brown up the top of the crust. I set mine for 400° F for 5 minutes. Alternately you can place your pan in the oven under the broiler for a few minutes until it develops some color.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.