Instant Pot Hot Cocoa Bombs (also called hot chocolate bombs) are balls of chocolate that have hot cocoa mix and marshmallows hidden inside. You place them in a mug and pour hot milk over the top. Then the magic happens! The chocolate melts and the marshmallows and cocoa are released into the milk and make the most exciting cup of hot chocolate you’ve ever consumed!
Instant Pot Hot Cocoa Bombs
Hot cocoa bombs have taken over the internet! When I first saw a picture of them I thought they were chocolate truffles. But then I realized that they were much more than that! They are like the hot chocolate version of bath bombs. Exploding, chocolate-y fun!
I had to get in on all the fun and, of course, use my Instant Pot to help make them happen at my house. The Instant Pot makes an amazing double boiler. I’ve used it in the past for chocolate covered pretzels. The Instant Pot keeps the chocolate the PERFECT temperature the entire time that you are working with it. I think that it’s much easier to use than the stove top method or the microwave method because the Instant Pot is placed on the counter and your parchment or waxed paper (or in today’s case, the egg bite mold) is placed right next to it. This leads to much less mess and it’s very convenient.
My chocolate stayed at the perfect temp and as I started getting low in the bowl, I just added a handful of chocolate and it melted quickly. No scorched chocolate. No constant stirring. Perfect in every way.Blog reader, Marcia talking about the Instant Pot as a double boiler
What do I need to make Instant Pot hot chocolate bombs?
- To make Instant Pot hot cocoa bombs you’ll need to break out your egg bite molds* (you can also use something like these* or even silicone ice cube trays*). Silicone molds are the best bet because you can easily push the chocolate out and they are pretty inexpensive.
- Your Instant Pot (I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*) and a glass or metal bowl that sits in/on the Instant Pot without falling in on top of the Instant Pot (for melting the chocolate in)
- Chocolate for melting. I just used semi sweet Kirkland brand chocolate chips. I also decorated the tops with melted white chocolate chips.
- Dry hot cocoa mix
- Dehydrated marshmallows*
How do I make hot cocoa bombs?
The pictures below will be more helpful to you than my words! Follow along with my steps…
More Fun Christmas Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Instant Pot Hot Cocoa Bombs are balls of chocolate that have hot cocoa mix and marshmallows hidden inside. You place them in a mug and pour hot milk over the top. Then the magic happens! The chocolate melts and the marshmallows and cocoa are released into the milk and make the most exciting cup of hot chocolate you’ve ever consumed!
- 4 cups semi sweet chocolate chips
- 14 Tbsp dry hot chocolate mix
- 14 Tbsp dehydrated marshmallows*
- Optional: 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté (more setting). Add in 2 cups of water. Place a glass or metal bowl that sits in/on the Instant Pot without falling in on top of the Instant Pot. Add chocolate chips into bowl. Stir every minute until the chocolate is smooth and melted. Turn the Instant Pot to the Keep Warm setting.
- To make Instant Pot hot cocoa bombs you’ll need 2 egg bite molds.* Scoop about 1-2 Tbsp of the melted chocolate into the egg bite molds. Use the back of a spoon to push the melted chocolate around the molds and up along the sides and edges.
- Place the molds into the freezer for about 10-20 minutes.
- Add 1 Tbsp of hot chocolate mix to each mold and then fill the rest of the mold with the dehydrated marshmallows.
- Spoon more chocolate over the top of the molds to seal up the bombs. Place in freezer for another 10-20 minutes.
- Carefully but forcefully push the molds inside out to pop the bombs out of the molds. If desired, melt the white chocolate and decorate the tops of the bombs by drizzling the white chocolate over the top with a fork.
- To serve place a bomb in a large mug. Heat about 1 ½ cups milk until almost boiling. Then pour the milk over the top of the bomb. Stir until the hot chocolate mix and marshmallow mix is released. Drink and enjoy!
These are big hot cocoa bombs and the hot chocolate is very rich! You can serve about 2 people with each bomb.
- Category: Dessert
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.