Ham and bean soup is a classic after-holiday recipe, using up leftover ham and bones. But it can be made any time with the use of ham steak purchased from the grocery store.
- 1 pound dried great northern beans (or two cans of great northern beans)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) ham steak, cubed with bone reserved
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- Soak beans overnight or quick soak beans in the Instant Pot.
- Set Instant Pot to Saute. Put oil and onion into Instant Pot. Cook onion 2 minutes until soft.
- Add in garlic and cook 30 seconds. Turn Instant Pot off.
- Add beans, ham and ham bone, broth, carrots, parsley, pepper and bay leaf to Instant Pot.
- Close lid and set pressure release to sealing.
- Press Manual or Pressure Cook button and adjust time to 4 minutes for canned beans or 20 minute for soaked beans.
- When the timer beeps, quick release pressure and then unlock lid and remove it.
- Remove bay leaf and ham bone. Serve.
Recipe is from The “I Love My Instant Pot®” Affordable Meals Recipe Book*
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Calories: 435
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 1068 mg
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 53 g
- Fiber: 14 g
- Protein: 37 g