Instant Pot Green and White Soup—a nourishing and tasty soup with white and green beans, barley, lemon, spinach and chunks of chicken. An easy dump and go Instant Pot recipe!
Instant Pot Green and White Soup
I asked my friends on the 365 days of Instant Pot recipes Facebook group what they would name this soup. I got lots of great responses! Some of my favorites were:
- Zesty Chicken and Barley soup
- We All Wanna Make soup
- Lemon Chicken Barley Soup
- Barley and Beans Chicken Soup
- Not Yo Gnocchi and Chicken Soup
- Sunshine soup
- Kitchen sink soup
- WW zero points on blue
Cherie came up with the idea of green and white soup. I liked that one a lot because of the white beans (and white chicken) and the green beans (and green spinach). But no matter what you name this soup it tastes DELICIOUS!
The broth is so tasty with the slight taste of fresh lemon. And the chicken is ultra tender and moist (even when using chicken breasts!). It’s just full of goodness in every bite. This would be a great soup to make for someone with the flu or a cold because it just feels so nourishing when you’re eating it.
More Instant Pot Healthy Soup Recipes…
Instant Pot 10 Vegetable Soup–low cal but not low flavor!
Instant Pot Lemon Lentil Chicken Soup–I love the lemon taste in this one!
Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Soup–Like chicken noodle but with rice instead!
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
A nourishing and tasty soup with white and green beans, barley, lemon, spinach and chunks of chicken. An easy dump and go Instant Pot recipe!
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 (15.5 oz) can great northern (or other white beans) beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup pearl barley, uncooked (to make gluten free use brown rice)
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (14.5 oz) can green beans, drained
- 3 cups coarsely chopped spinach
- Add broth chicken, beans, barley, garlic, basil, thyme, oregano, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper into the Instant Pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5-10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Cut the chicken into pieces or shred. Stir in the green beans and the spinach.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. For the 8 quart follow the same recipe as above. For the 3 quart pot, halve all the ingredients and keep same cooking time.
To make this in the slow cooker: Add broth chicken, beans, barley, garlic, basil, thyme, oregano, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt and pepper into the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Remove the lid and shred or cut the chicken into pieces. Add in the spinach and the green beans. Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.