Brown rice is cooked with fresh garlic and tender bites of chicken. Parmesan cheese and asparagus (or broccoli) are stirred in to make a perfect one pot meal.
- 4 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 2 ¼ cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 ½ pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- ½ cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 1 large bunch of asparagus, washed and cut into 1 inch pieces (see note)
- Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the butter. Swirl the pot around so the butter melts. Add in the onion and saute for 4-5 minutes. Add in the minced garlic and stir for about 20 seconds. Add in the brown rice and stir to coat the rice in butter and onions. Stir in the chicken broth, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper. Nestle the chicken on top of the rice.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to remove the chicken and place it on a cutting board. Stir in the parmesan cheese and the asparagus. Cover the pot so the warm rice can “cook” the asparagus. Cut the chicken into pieces and add it back in. Salt and pepper to taste. When asparagus gets to your desired softness serve and enjoy. I like my asparagus with a little crispness so it didn’t take much time at all. Plus my asparagus spears were pretty skinny.
If you prefer you can use broccoli florets in the place of asparagus. Cut a head of broccoli into small florets so they can cook quickly. Follow the directions above as written. You can also use frozen broccoli. Run hot water over the broccoli before adding it into the pot.
If you prefer white meat over the dark thighs you can use thick chicken breasts. Because the rice needs to cook for 22 minutes the chicken can get a little overcooked. Using thick chicken breasts helps with that.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot