Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Bacon Chicken–a creamy sauce and chicken with parmesan cheese, bacon, garlic and spinach. Make pot-in-pot rice at the same time to serve with the chicken and sauce.
Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Bacon Chicken
This chicken and sauce is seriously delicious. After I finished my plate I couldn’t stop sneaking extra bites straight from the pot. My parents, kids and husband all agreed with me. This is a new family favorite! And it’s a major bonus that you can cook the rice at the same time in the same pot! To see more about how that works you can see my video about pot-in-pot rice here.
A few notes about the ingredients:
Chicken–I used boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut into ½ inch fillets. I like cutting them thin because they cook quicker and then nobody is stuck with a big hunk of meat. If you’re using frozen chicken breasts you can cut them into pieces or shred the meat after it has pressure cooked. I haven’t tried this recipe with chicken thighs but I think it would work fabulously. You’ll need to increase the cooking time by a couple minutes for dark meat.
Half and Half–this is just a dairy product that is half whole milk and half heavy cream. You can use just cream or just whole milk if you’d prefer. I like half and half because you get the flavor and thickness.
Cornstarch–I used cornstarch to thicken my sauce but you can also use flour. Just make sure to cook the raw flour taste out of the sauce before you serve.
Spinach–if you don’t like spinach just leave it out. I used fresh baby spinach and chopped it. You can probably use frozen spinach and it would taste just as good. I would thaw the frozen spinach and wring out excess liquid first before adding it into the pot.
Bacon–I used packaged real bacon pieces from Costco. You can cook your own bacon and use that instead.
Rice–I used uncooked long grain white rice with the pot-in-pot method. If you want to try a different type of rice refer to this article.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes You’ll Love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Bacon Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A creamy sauce and chicken with parmesan cheese, bacon, garlic and spinach. Make pot-in-pot rice at the same time to serve with the chicken and sauce.
For the chicken and sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onions
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 4 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup shredded or grated parmesan cheese
- 3 ounces coarsely chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup real bacon bits
For the rice (optional)
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Saute onion and garlic. Turn your Instant Pot to the saute setting. When the displays says HOT add in the butter and swirl it around until it melts. Add in the diced onion and saute for about 4 or 5 minutes, until onion is soft and translucent. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds. Then pour in the chicken broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking.
- Cut the chicken. You can make this recipe with whole chicken breasts but I like to cut them into ½ inch fillets. This makes it easier for one person to eat a piece of chicken. Another option is to cut the chicken into bite size pieces. It’s up to you. I put the different cooking times below. Add the chicken into the pot in an even layer and then sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken.
- Pot in pot rice. If you’d like to make rice at the same time you can. Just fill an oven-safe pan* that fits inside your Instant Pot with the rice and water. Use a trivet/sling* to place the pan gently on top of the chicken. See a video that demonstrates this.
- Pressure Cook. Cover and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to:
- 6 minutes for ½ inch fillets
- 10 minutes for whole chicken breasts that are fresh
- 12-15 minutes for whole chicken breasts that are frozen (see my note below)
- 3 minutes for chicken cut into bite size pieces
- Make the sauce. When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Carefully remove the rice and set aside. Warm the half and half (so that it doesn’t curdle) and whisk in the cornstarch until it is smooth. Turn the pot to the saute setting. Remove the chicken and set on a platter. Pour the half and half mixture into the pot. Stir until the sauce thickens. Stir in the parmesan cheese, spinach and bacon.
- Serve. Serve the chicken and the sauce over rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
If you’re using frozen chicken breasts: One of the most important parts of cooking from frozen is determining the right cook time. This cook time will vary based on the size and thickness of the breasts. When cooking from frozen, do your best to select chicken breasts that are similar in size and thickness. To determine a cook time by thickness use 6 minutes of cook time per inch at the thickest part of the breast.
I used uncooked long grain white rice with the pot-in-pot method. If you want to try a different type of rice refer to this article.
To make low carb leave out the cornstarch and use heavy cream instead of half and half. Don’t make the rice. Serve over vegetables or plain.
This recipe is gluten free. Just make sure to check your broth label.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.