Instant Pot Garlic Mushroom Chicken–a creamy sauce is spooned over mushrooms, tender bites of chicken (and optional broccoli). A delicious dump and go recipe that you can make with frozen chicken.
Instant Pot Garlic Mushroom Chicken
This creamy chicken and mushrooms is so tasty and it’s not made with any processed condensed soups. Plus it’s so fast to get it started. You just dump a few ingredients into the pot and set the timer and walk away. Totally my kind of cooking!
I served the chicken and sauce over leftover risotto which was tasty. I think it would also make a great pasta dish. Just start the fettuccine (or another type of pasta) in a pot on the stove the same time you start the chicken in your Instant Pot. The pasta will be ready to go when the chicken is done.
A few notes about ingredients:
Mushrooms: I used plain white button mushrooms. I used 8 ounces but next time I’ll use 16 ounces. They shrink down so much and I really love mushrooms.
Chicken: You can use boneless breasts or thighs for this recipe–frozen or fresh. Just check the recipe for cooking times. You can also use bone-in chicken (just add 2 minutes to the thigh times).
Broth:I used 1 3/4 cup of water and 1 3/4 tsp of Better than Bouillon Chicken Base. It has great flavor and I buy the huge jar at Costco.
Flour: I used flour to thicken the sauce. If you’re trying to make this recipe gluten free you could use a cornstarch slurry to thicken the sauce. Just mix 1/4 cup of cornstarch with 1/4 cup water and stir until smooth. Add it into the pot.
Broccoli: If you choose to add broccoli you have to add it after the chicken is pressure cooked. It gets way too mushy to add at the beginning. (If you’re interested in cooking broccoli in a separate Instant Pot here is how I do it). You can use fresh broccoli or frozen broccoli, it’s up to you.
More recipes you’ll love…
Instant Pot Chicken and Mashed Potatoes (all in one pot)
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Garlic Mushroom Chicken I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
A creamy sauce is spooned over mushrooms, tender bites of chicken (and optional broccoli). A delicious dump and go recipe that you can make with frozen chicken.
- 8–16 ounces mushrooms (see note), washed and sliced
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is fine)
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp garlic powder or 8 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 3/4 cups half and half, warmed
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Optional: 2-3 cups broccoli florets (frozen or fresh)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add mushrooms, chicken, butter, broth, Italian seasoning, seasoned salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to the Instant Pot.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to: 10 minutes (thawed breasts), 12 minutes (frozen breasts), 12 minutes (thawed thighs), 15 minutes (frozen thighs).
- When the time is up let the pot sit for 5 minutes (display will say L0:05) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Place the chicken on a cutting board and set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Stir in the broccoli. If using frozen broccoli run hot water over it before adding it to the pot so it doesn’t cool down the food too much.
- Combine the warmed half and half (I use the microwave to warm it for 1 minute) and the flour in a bowl and whisk until smooth. Ladle a cup of the broth from the Instant Pot into the flour/half and half mixture. Whisk until smooth. Whisk the mixture into the Instant Pot. This will thicken the sauce in just a few minutes. Stir every 3o seconds until thickened.
- Slice the chicken into desired size pieces (I just used a fork to cut it into pieces). Add the chicken back into the pot. Salt and pepper to taste. Turn off saute setting when the sauce is thick and the broccoli is cooked through.
- Serve chicken, mushrooms, broccoli and sauce over pasta, potatoes, rice, garlic toast or just eat it plain.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can use your 8 quart with no changes to the recipe. You can double the recipe in your 8 quart. If you want to use your 3 quart you can but you’ll probably have to halve the recipe. Increase the cooking time by 2 minutes when using your 3 quart.
I made this with 8 ounces of mushrooms. I would have preferred more mushrooms. They shrink down so much! Next time I’ll use a whole pound of sliced mushrooms.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
Keywords: Instant Pot
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Instant Pot Garlic Mushroom Chicken? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.