Instant Pot Forgotten Chicken–one of those recipes you need in your back pocket for a busy day. Throw everything into the pot and forget about it! Easy, flavorful, tender chicken with rice.
Instant Pot Forgotten Chicken
This is one of those recipes that doesn’t look all that appealing but it tastes really good! It’s called forgotten chicken because it’s a recipe that you can throw into your pot, walk away and come back whenever you are ready. It stays delicious for up to 2-3 hours on the warm setting. You can just “fuhgeddaboudit.”
- This recipe makes 4 servings. You can easily double the recipe. Keep the same cooking time.
- I like to use brown rice as much as I can. However this recipe can also be made with white rice. In order to make this with white rice you will need to cut chicken into thinner pieces. You can use boneless thighs or breasts and cut them in half horizontally so they are thinner. Use 1 ½ cups water and 1 cup of white rice. Pressure cook for 8 minutes with a 5-10 minute natural pressure release.
- This recipe tastes great with moist and tender dark meat. If you don’t like dark meat you can try making this with boneless, skinless breasts. Keep the same cooking time.
- If you’d like to make this recipe dairy free simply leave out the sour cream. It will still taste great!
- I like to buy Better than Bouillon at Costco in the big jars. I use it so much in the Instant Pot. It really adds a lot of flavor to so many dishes. If you don’t have the chicken base you can try using bouillon cubes/granules. They seem to be more strong and salty so I would only use 1 or 2 cubes or teaspoons.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in your 3 quart pot. To make in the 8 quart increase the broth to 1 ½ cups and the rice to 1 ¼ cups.
More Instant Pot Chicken Recipes…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
One of those recipes you need in your back pocket for a busy day. Throw everything into the pot and forget about it! Easy, flavorful, tender chicken with rice.
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Better than Bouillon Chicken Base
- 1 cup brown rice
- 4–6 pieces of bone-in chicken (drums, thighs) or boneless thighs
- 2 Tbsp dried onions
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 3/4 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup sour cream or 4 ounces cream cheese
- Pour water into Instant Pot. Stir in the chicken base (it doesn’t have to be dissolved). Sprinkle in the rice. Lay the chicken into Instant Pot. Sprinkle the onions, poultry seasoning and garlic salt on top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When time is up let the pot sit for at least 10 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Move chicken to a plate. Stir sour cream or cream cheese in with the rice. Serve rice and chicken and enjoy!
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.