Instant Pot Dirty Rice Casserole—an easy dinner dish with rice, andouille sausage, chicken and lots of flavor from cajun seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. The whole pot will be gone within minutes! Make it in your Instant Pot or slow cooker.
SLOW COOKER instructions are listed in the recipe card below
Instant Pot Dirty Rice Casserole
My 12-year-old son had 2 friends over at dinnertime and asked if they could eat dinner with us. Sure, why not? I was wondering if they would like this dirty rice casserole or not. Some kids are picky, you know. One of the friends, Kaden, could not stop talking about it and he was so sad when the whole pot was gone. I told him to tell his parents the recipe would be on my website tomorrow 😜.
Authentic dirty rice is a Cajun white rice dish that gets its dirty color from chicken livers and ground beef or pork. This is a casserole spin off that does not use chicken livers but something most people have right now at home, chicken breasts. It also uses Cajun-style andouille sausage to give it that Cajun flare. It’s so tasty, it was bursting with flavor! I think you’ll love it.
Is it spicy? Mine was not spicy. The andouille sausage has a little kick to it and depending on what Cajun seasoning you use that could be spicy. I just used the Kroger store brand of Cajun seasoning and it’s not spicy at all. You can also make your own Cajun seasoning.
Can I use another type of rice? I used brown rice. However you definitely can use other types of rice. Just follow the cooking times in the green chart below. For this particular recipe you may want to decrease the liquid just a tad. The chicken puts off liquid and the tomatoes have liquid as well. You can print the green chart here.
Where do you find andouille sausage? Look next to the smoked sausages and deli meats in the refrigerated section at your grocery store. I used the Chef Bruce Aidells brand.
Try these other recipes…
An easy dinner dish with rice, andouille sausage, chicken and lots of flavor from cajun seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. The whole pot will be gone within minutes! Make it in your Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- 1 Tbsp olive,vegetable or canola oil (or bacon grease)
- 1 cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups raw brown rice
- 1 green pepper, cored and diced
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 oz fully cooked andouille sausage links, sliced into quarter inch slices
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl around. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the celery and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the broth and deglaze the pot. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the rice, green pepper, cajun seasoning, paprika, sausage, chicken and tomatoes.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid. Shred or chop the chicken. Stir and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Saute onion in oil over medium heat and add to slow cooker. Boil chicken broth and add to slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. Stir and serve.
Can I use another type of rice? I used brown rice. However you definitely can use other types of rice. Just follow the cooking times in the green chart above. For this particular recipe you may want to decrease the liquid just a tad instead of keeping the normal ratios of water to rice. The chicken puts off liquid and the tomatoes have liquid as well. If you use a rice that takes less than 10 minutes cut up the chicken into pieces so that it can cook at the same rate as the rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.