An easy dinner dish with rice, andouille sausage, chicken and lots of flavor from cajun seasoning and fire roasted tomatoes. The whole pot will be gone within minutes! Make it in your Instant Pot or slow cooker.
- 1 Tbsp olive,vegetable or canola oil (or bacon grease)
- 1 cup diced onions
- ½ cup diced celery
- 1 ¾ cups chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups raw brown rice
- 1 green pepper, cored and diced
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 oz fully cooked andouille sausage links, sliced into quarter inch slices
- 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs (frozen is okay)
- 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl around. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the celery and saute for 2 more minutes.
- Pour in the broth and deglaze the pot. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the rice, green pepper, cajun seasoning, paprika, sausage, chicken and tomatoes.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 22 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 10 minutes and then move the valve to venting.
- Remove the lid. Shred or chop the chicken. Stir and serve.
Slow Cooker Instructions: Saute onion in oil over medium heat and add to slow cooker. Boil chicken broth and add to slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-6 hours. Stir and serve.
Can I use another type of rice? I used brown rice. However you definitely can use other types of rice. Just follow the cooking times in the green chart above. For this particular recipe you may want to decrease the liquid just a tad instead of keeping the normal ratios of water to rice. The chicken puts off liquid and the tomatoes have liquid as well. If you use a rice that takes less than 10 minutes cut up the chicken into pieces so that it can cook at the same rate as the rice.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot