Instant Pot Classic Dauphinoise Potatoes–a simple French dish of thinly sliced potatoes with heavy cream and gruyere cheese.
Instant Pot Classic Dauphinoise Potatoes
This decadent potato dish is creamy and dreamy and delicious. It has very few ingredients but it has plenty of flavor. In the French region of Dauphiné, every home cook has their own formula for preparing this gratin. In the house of Petersen we use the Instant Pot.
By using the Instant Pot to quickly steam the potatoes you get a head start on this recipe. Then you’ll pressure cook the potatoes with the cream, seasonings and cheese in a pot-in-pot baking dish*. Finally you will use your air fryer lid* (if you have one) to get the cheese golden brown. There are a few steps but in the end the Instant Pot is going to be faster than using your stove and oven.
- Russet potatoes–or Yukon gold potatoes
- Kosher salt–or sea salt
- Black pepper–freshly cracked is best
- White pepper–find this by the other seasonings. You can also use it in egg drop soup.
- Garlic powder–or granulated garlic
- Heavy cream
- Gruyere cheese
- Thinly sliced peeled potatoes. You can use a mandolin if you have one. I have a Salad Master tool that I use.
- Steam the potatoes. Add the potatoes to a steamer basket and pressure cook for 1 minute.
- Layer the potatoes, cream, seasonings and cheese in a pot-in-pot dish. I used a 7 inch by 3 inch Fat Daddios pan*.
- Pressure cook using the pot-in-pot method for 10 minutes. You can use a quick release. (Alternately you can bake in the oven at 375 for 35 minutes).
- Air fry for a few minutes until the cheese is golden brown. That’s the best part of the dish is that crispy golden cheese! If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can put the dish under your oven’s broiler.
- Serve and enjoy! You can top with chopped parsley, if desired.
- This makes a great side dish to ham, turkey, chicken, pork chops, steak or roast beef. Serve alongside some asparagus.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot* but you can also use an 8 quart pot.
- I like using a silicone steamer basket*.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- This recipe is gluten-free.
- Other recipes you can make with gruyere cheese are Instant Pot French Onion Meatballs and Instant Pot Country Club Chicken.
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes…
- Instant Pot Parmesan Ranch Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sour Cream and Onion Smashed Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Cracker Barrel Hashbrown Casserole
- Instant Pot Million Dollar Potato Casserole
- Instant Pot Garlic Parmesan Au Gratin Potatoes
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
A simple French dish of thinly sliced potatoes with heavy cream and gruyere cheese.
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup grated gruyere cheese
- Wash and peel the potatoes. Slice the potatoes very thinly. You can use a mandolin if you have one.
- Add the potatoes to a steamer basket. Pour 1 ½ cups into bottom of Instant Pot. Drop the steamer basket into the Instant Pot. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Remove the steamer basket of potatoes. Spread out half of the potatoes in a pot-in-pot dish (I used a 7×3 inch pan). Combine the salt, peppers, garlic powder and nutmeg in a small bowl. Sprinkle half of it evenly over the potatoes. Pour half of the cream evenly over the top of the potatoes. Sprinkle half of the cheese over the potatoes. Repeat one more time (potatoes, seasonings, cream and cheese).
- Cover the pan with foil. Place the pan on a trivet with handles and lower the pan into the pot (it should still have water in the bottom). Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes. When time is up move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Remove the foil and place an air fryer lid on the top of the Instant Pot. Air fry at 400° F for 4-6 minutes, or until cheese is golden. (If you don’t have an air fryer lid you can use your oven’s broiler or you can just eat the dish as is).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot/Air fryer lid
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.