Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan—chicken breasts or thighs are simmered in a seasoned tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. A skinnier version of the classic. Made in one pot, your Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Chicken Parmesan
I’m a huge fan of American-Italian types of food like chicken parmesan. Cheesy, tomato-y chicken served over pasta is so comforting. This recipe is a skinnier version than the original as the chicken is not breaded and fried.
I used boneless, skinless chicken thighs that were frozen and they worked beautifully. You can also use fresh chicken thighs. For chicken breasts, slice the chicken in half horizontally so that it is thinner. You can also pound your chicken breasts flat with a meat mallet*. Because the chicken breasts are so thin they will only need a 6 minute pressure cooking time.
I served my Instant Pot chicken parmesan over orzo. Other choices, besides pasta, is to serve over zoodles, cauliflower rice or steamed veggies. Try out this recipe soon! I think you’ll really love it!
More Chicken Parmesan Inspired Recipes…
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
Receive FREE daily Instant Pot recipes and tips in your email box. Sign up by filling out the gray form below. Other ways to follow: join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group and subscribe to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.Print
Chicken breasts or thighs are simmered in a seasoned tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. A skinnier version of the classic.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4–6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4-6 chicken cutlets (chicken breasts cut in half horizontally)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, optional
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and the onions. Sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Nestle the chicken into the pot. Sprinkle the chicken with Italian seasoning, paprika, kosher salt and a few grinds of fresh ground pepper.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and cayenne over the top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 6 minutes for chicken cutlets or 15 minutes for chicken thighs. When time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to move the chicken to a pan.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the chicken and place under oven’s broiler for 2-3 minutes until melted.
- Serve chicken topped with more sauce and fresh basil.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.