Chicken breasts or thighs are simmered in a seasoned tomato sauce and topped with mozzarella and parmesan cheese. A skinnier version of the classic.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 4–6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs or 4-6 chicken cutlets (chicken breasts cut in half horizontally)
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 (14 oz) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch + 2 Tbsp water
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 8 Tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- Fresh basil, optional
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When display says HOT add in the oil and the onions. Sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Nestle the chicken into the pot. Sprinkle the chicken with Italian seasoning, paprika, kosher salt and a few grinds of fresh ground pepper.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar and cayenne over the top of the chicken.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 6 minutes for chicken cutlets or 15 minutes for chicken thighs. When time is up let the pressure release naturally for 5-10 minutes. Then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Use tongs to move the chicken to a pan.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Turn your Instant Pot to the sauté setting. In a small bowl stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch with 2 Tbsp of water, until smooth. Then pour the mixture into the Instant Pot. The cornstarch mixture will thicken up contents of pot quickly. Stir in the balsamic vinegar. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle the cheese on top of the chicken and place under oven’s broiler for 2-3 minutes until melted.
- Serve chicken topped with more sauce and fresh basil.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot