Instant Pot Cajun Chicken, Sausage and Cabbage–bites of chicken and smoked sausage with potatoes, onions and cabbage flavored with cajun seasoning.
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken, Sausage and Cabbage
This one-pot-meal is sure to please! It has tons of flavor thanks to the smoked sausage and cajun seasoning. You’re going to love how easy it is to make and how delicious it is to eat. This is my favorite way to enjoy cabbage! It almost reminds me of noodles (but with less calories and carbs).
- Olive oil–or vegetable oil
- Smoked sausage–I used beef smoked sausage. You can also use kielbasa or andouille.
- Onions–white or yellow
- Garlic–fresh or jarred
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces–or 1 ½ cups chopped, cooked chicken. You can use chicken breasts instead of thighs but the chicken doesn’t turn out as tender.
- Cabbage–I like green cabbage
- Cajun seasoning–I used the Smith’s brand Smidge and Spoon. This cajun seasoning isn’t very spicy and does have salt in it. Some cajun seasonings are very spicy so you may adjust the amount you need accordingly.
- Russet potatoes–or red or yellow potatoes
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the olive oil and smoked sausage. Brown the sausage for 3 minutes.
Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Add in the chicken and cabbage and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning.
Finally add in the potatoes on top of the cabbage. Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid. Stir. Scoop onto plates or in bowls and serve.
- We served this as an all-in-one-pot meal. If you want to add a side I suggest serving it with bread like cornbread or pumpernickel.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in an 8 quart pot. It doesn’t fit in the 3 quart pot because the cabbage takes up a lot of space. However you can halve the recipe in the 3 quart pot. Cut all ingredients in half except the broth.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Other recipes you can make with your extra cabbage are Cabbage, Potatoes And Sausage and Instant Pot Cabbage Roll Soup.
More Instant Pot Recipes with Cajun Seasoning…
Instant Pot Penne in Cajun Mustard Cream Sauce
Make this Instant Pot Penne in Cajun Mustard Cream Sauce for a quick and easy weeknight meal. With options to prepare it with andouille sausage or meatless you can make everyone happy.
Instant Pot Chilis Copycat Cajun Chicken Pasta
An easy way to make a copycat version of Chili’s cajun chicken and penne. It tastes soooo good and costs a fraction of the price you’d pay at a restaurant.
Instant Pot Popeye’s Cajun Rice
Ground beef, green pepper and rice with Cajun seasonings. An easy copycat recipe that you can make at home in your Instant Pot.
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Instant Pot Cajun Chicken, Sausage and Cabbage
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 3 minutes (plus 5 minute NPR)
- Total Time: 23 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
Bites of chicken and smoked sausage with potatoes, onions and cabbage flavored with cajun seasoning.
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 (12 oz) package smoked sausage, sliced into rounds
- 1 cup diced or sliced onions
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite size pieces (or 1 1/2 cups chopped, cooked chicken)
- 4 cups chopped cabbage
- 2 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the olive oil and smoked sausage. Brown the sausage for 3 minutes. Add in the onions and saute for 3 minutes. Add in the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add in the chicken and cabbage and sprinkle with the cajun seasoning.
- Finally add in the potatoes on top of the cabbage.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 5 minutes and then move valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Stir. Scoop onto plates or in bowls and serve.
- Category: Sausage
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.
Kara Burton says
Can you please tell me what size IP you used? i cook for a large number of people and want to figure out how many batches I can make at a time. It looks delicious!
I used a 6 quart pot
Kathy E. says
This is another delicious IP winner! I used what I had to make this…chicken breasts, only 6 oz. turkey sausage link, and Creole seasoning. The dish turned out great, but a bit too spicy for us, so I’ll cut back on the Creole seasoning next time. It’s not the prettiest dish to serve, but just fine for us on a weeknight. It made tasty leftovers too!
Sounds like a good plan! Thanks Kathy!
Kim B. says
Just cooked this for dinner! PERFECT-O!! Been doing your Cabbage, Potatoes & Sausage for a while now, but adding the chicken to it “ups the game”. Very delicious. Keep up the good work!
Thank you! I’m so glad to hear it!
Since finding your web site, you are my main source of recipes for either Instant Pot or Slow Cooker, and my wife and I both love them. I am 75 and my wife is 72. She won’t retire (I call her “mule”) so I am the cook. So many recipres… so little time! Thank you.
Haha! I love that Frank. Thanks for being here.
Do the chicken thighs need to be precooked as well?
no, they can be raw, cut up in pieces.