Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls—a hearty beef and rice mixture is rolled up in softened cabbage leaves and cooked in your Instant Pot with a homemade tomato sauce. Comfort food!
Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls (Video)
I’ve had a few people email me and ask about a cabbage roll recipe. Even Greg asked about it the other day. Finally I got all the ingredients together and created a cabbage roll recipe for the Instant Pot.
The cool thing about using the Instant Pot to make cabbage rolls is that you don’t have to boil the cabbage in water on the stove to soften up the leaves and separately cook rice on the stove. The whole process is made easier by using the Instant Pot.
First you’ll soften up the leaves of the cabbage by steaming them in the Instant Pot and at the same time you’ll cook the rice (pot in pot method). Once steamed you can easily peel off the perfectly pliable cabbage leaves. You’ll then roll up a mixture cooked rice, ground beef and seasonings (think porcupine meatballs) in the cabbage leaves, like little burritos.
Because this recipe is just a bit more involved then some of my other dump and go type of recipes I made a video so you can visualize the process. Hope this helps you!
If you’re wanting to experience the cabbage roll flavors but don’t want to go through the longer process of making them then try these faster cabbage roll inspired recipes. I love them both! Especially the soup.
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Instant Pot Cabbage Rolls I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also use an 8 quart Instant Pot to make this recipe. Keep the same cooking time. This recipe is too large to fit in a 3 quart pot.Print
A hearty beef and rice mixture is rolled up in softened cabbage leaves and cooked in your Instant Pot with a homemade tomato sauce. Comfort food!
- 1 (medium 2 pound) green cabbage
- ⅓ cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- 1 ¼ pounds lean ground beef (mine was 85% lean)
- 1 egg
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce (see note below)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tsp white sugar
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch (optional)
- Pour 1 ½ cups water into the bottom of your Instant Pot. In a pan (I used this one*) add the rice and ½ cup of water. Place the pan on a trivet and lower the trivet into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then place the cabbage on top of the rice so that it will fit into the Instant Pot when the lid is on.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 5 minutes. When the time is up perform a quick release. Carefully remove the pan and trivet. Set aside. Dump out the water inside the bottom of the Instant Pot and clean the Instant Pot liner. Replace the liner into the Instant Pot.
- In a medium bowl add the ground beef, cooked rice, egg, black pepper, kosher salt, diced onion and garlic powder. With clean hands mix the mixture until combined.
- Carefully peel off each of the layers of the cabbage. You will need at least 9 good leaves. Use a paring knife to shave down the thick vein that runs down the middle of each leaf (see video for demonstration).
- With the vein side of each cabbage leaf down, take about ¼ to ⅓ cup of the meat mixture and place it at the bottom of the leaf. Then roll up the leaf while tucking in the sides. Repeat until all the meat is used.
- Cut the remaining hard and inflexible part of the cabbage into about 8 wedges.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place the trivet in the bottom. Evenly spread out the 8 wedges of cabbage on top of the trivet. Then layer the cabbage rolls on top.
- In a bowl stir together the tomato sauce, tomato paste, sugar, butter, and lemon juice. Whisk well. Then pour the mixture over the top of the cabbage rolls.
- Cover the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 18 minutes. When the time is up let the pot sit for 15 more minutes and then release any remaining pressure. Remove the lid.
- Carefully use a spoon or tongs to place the cabbage rolls on a plate. Remove the trivet. Stir the remaining juices together in the pot. Thicken the juices by turning the saute button on. Then make a cornstarch slurry by stirring together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and 3 Tbsp of water in a small bowl. Stir the slurry into the liquid. It should thicken quickly. Then turn off the pot.
- Serve the cabbage rolls topped with the sauce. Eat or discard the extra pieces of cabbage in the pot.
If you prefer you can use 2 cans of tomato soup in substitution for the tomato sauce, paste, sugar, butter and lemon juice.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Want more tried and true Instant Pot recipes?
The 365 Days of Slow and Pressure Cooking website has 3-4 new Instant Pot recipes a week! If you sign up for my FREE emails (fill out the form below) you’ll receive an email each time something new is on the site. You can also join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group which is run by my husband Greg and myself. If you’re a visual learner consider subscribing to my YouTube channel where I share Instant Pot stuff with you weekly.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.