Instant Pot Basque Potatoes—a simple but delicious potato recipe with garlic, parsley, carrots and onion.
Each week in 2020 I’m sharing a recipe inspired by one of the 50 states. (See all the state recipes I’ve covered so far.) Today’s recipe is inspired by The Silver State, Nevada.
When I think of Nevada I think of Las Vegas, of course. I think of gambling, entertainment, hot weather, Sierra Nevadas and desert. I think of driving through it to get to California. I think of the Comstock Lode.
Instant Pot Basque Potatoes
Today’s recipe is a Basque recipe. Why Basque you ask? According to Wikipedia, “Basques have been living in Northern Nevada for over a century and form a population of several thousand. Basque immigrants first came in the mid-1800s during the Gold Rush…The Basque-American culture is especially prominent in the town of Winnemucca. Basque immigrants to Winnemucca founded the Martin Hotel and the Winnemucca Hotel, both of which were associated with the Basque sheepherders.”
If you want to learn more read “How Basque Food Got to Northern Nevada.”
Today’s recipe for Instant Pot Basque Potatoes doesn’t seem fancy or over the top but it tastes, oh, so good! My family and I devoured these potatoes within seconds. The potatoes are pressure cooked for only 1 minute and then simmered without the lid for 10 more minutes to reduce the liquid and add lots of flavor. Make sure to add plenty of salt and pepper to taste. Potatoes seem to soak up salt. The smoked paprika adds a kick of flavor and we loved it!
More Instant Pot Potato Recipes…
A simple but delicious potato recipe with garlic, parsley, carrots and onion.
- 2 Tbsp vegetable, olive or canola oil
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 1/2 cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4–1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- Turn Instant Pot to the sauté setting. When the display says HOT add in the oil and swirl it around. Add in the onions and carrots. Sauté for about 4 minutes. Add in the garlic and parsley and sauté for 45 seconds. Cancel the sauté setting.
- Add in the broth and scrape the bottom of the pot. Add in the potatoes.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 1 minute. When the time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Simmer without the lid for 10 minutes.
- Add plenty of salt and pepper to taste and stir in the smoked paprika.
- Serve and enjoy!
Adapted from “Basque Cooking and Lore” by Darcy Williamson.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. Make in the 8 or 3 quart pot with no changes.
- Category: Side
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.