Instant Pot Aloha Chicken–an easy dump and go dinner of savory and sweet chicken, pineapple and sauce served over rice…all made together in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Aloha Chicken
Juicy chunks of pineapple with tender bites of chicken in a pineapple-soy sauce! This is a really simple dump and go recipe but it tastes so good! Make sure to make the pot-in-pot rice because you’ll want something to soak up the delicious sauce.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. You can also make this in an 8 quart pot. You may want to add an extra ½ cup of liquid (pineapple juice or broth) to make sure the pot comes to pressure for the 8 quart pot. If you’re not making pot-in-pot rice you can use a 3 quart pot.
- I used one of these stackable pans* with a lid on top to make my pot-in-pot rice. I used a tall trivet* to raise up the rice pan above the chicken. I made long grain white rice and it was perfect. You can also make jasmine or basmati rice. Sorry, brown rice won’t work because it won’t cook in the same amount of time as the chicken. You can make brown rice in a separate Instant Pot. If you’re trying to eat lower carb than forego the rice and serve over riced cauliflower instead.
- This Instant Pot Aloha Chicken can be gluten free. Use gluten free soy sauce or tamari sauce.
- This recipe is dairy free!
- I love using boneless, skinless chicken thighs for this recipe because the meat stays moist and tender. You can also use breasts, however they won’t be as moist and tender. Use the same cooking times listed in the recipe card for breasts.
- This chicken and sauce is a little sweet but not over the top sweet. I like the sweet warm chunks of pineapple but if you’re not a fan you can always just make the sauce with pineapple juice and forego adding the chunks of pineapple into the sauce.
- You can prep this ahead of time and place ingredients into a gallon size freezer zipper bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve place bag in the refrigerator the night before and let thaw out overnight. You’ll want it thawed enough for the frozen mass to be able to be manipulated to fit inside the Instant Pot. Cook according to frozen chicken directions in the recipe card below.
- Serve this chicken, rice and sauce alongside steamed broccoli or stir fried veggies.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week. This also makes a good freezer meal to rewarm later.
More Recipes You’ll Love…
Want More Tried And True Instant Pot Recipes?
- Sign up to receive daily Instant Pot recipes (it’s FREE)
- Join the 365 Days of Instant Pot Recipes Facebook group
- Subscribe to my YouTube channel
- Buy the 365 Days of Pressure Cooking Cookbook
An easy dinner for savory and sweet chicken, pineapple and sauce served over rice…all made together in the Instant Pot.
For chicken and sauce:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh minced ginger)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 2 tsp fresh minced garlic)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
For pot in pot rice:
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Open can of pineapple and drain all the juice (it should be about ¾ cup) into the Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Add in soy sauce, pepper, ginger, garlic, coconut oil and brown sugar.
- If you want to make pot in pot rice: Fill a pot in pot dish* with rice and water. Cover. Place a tall trivet into the Instant Pot (maneuver around the chicken) and place the covered pan on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for frozen chicken or 12 minutes for fresh chicken. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid.
- Carefully remove the pan of rice. Remove the trivet. Shred the chicken. Stir in the pineapple chunks.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch and water together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot. Stir until sauce is thickened. Turn off Instant Pot. Add a little salt and pepper to taste and, if needed, a splash of soy sauce.
- Serve the chicken, sauce and pineapples over rice.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.