An easy dinner for savory and sweet chicken, pineapple and sauce served over rice…all made together in the Instant Pot.
For chicken and sauce:
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (frozen is okay)
- 2 Tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger (or 2 tsp fresh minced ginger)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (or 2 tsp fresh minced garlic)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 (20 oz) can pineapple chunks in 100% juice
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch + 3 Tbsp water
- Salt and pepper
For pot in pot rice:
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- Open can of pineapple and drain all the juice (it should be about ¾ cup) into the Instant Pot. Add in the chicken. Add in soy sauce, pepper, ginger, garlic, coconut oil and brown sugar.
- If you want to make pot in pot rice: Fill a pot in pot dish* with rice and water. Cover. Place a tall trivet into the Instant Pot (maneuver around the chicken) and place the covered pan on top of the trivet.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 15 minutes for frozen chicken or 12 minutes for fresh chicken. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes and then move valve to venting to release any remaining pressure. Remove lid.
- Carefully remove the pan of rice. Remove the trivet. Shred the chicken. Stir in the pineapple chunks.
- Turn Instant Pot to sauté setting. Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing cornstarch and water together until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pot. Stir until sauce is thickened. Turn off Instant Pot. Add a little salt and pepper to taste and, if needed, a splash of soy sauce.
- Serve the chicken, sauce and pineapples over rice.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes (plus 10 minute NPR)
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot