An easy beginner recipe for the Instant Pot. Beef pot roast is cooked until tender in the electric pressure cooker. If desired you can also make carrots and potatoes with the roast.
- 2–3 pounds rump roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 cups water
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- 1 (1 oz) au jus gravy mix packet
- Optional: 1 pound baby carrots
- Optional: 1 pound Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks (or yellow potatoes, skin on)
- Place your trimmed roast in your Instant Pot. Pour in the water. Sprinkle the packet of onion soup mix over the roast. Sprinkle your packet of au jus gravy mix on top of the roast.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 90 minutes on high pressure. The pot will take about 10 minutes to build pressure and then will start counting down from 90.
- No potatoes and carrots option: Once the time is up let the pot sit there for another 15 minutes (display will read L0:15) and then move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Potatoes and carrots option: Once the time is up move the valve to venting. Remove the lid. Add in the potatoes and carrots. Replace the lid and set the valve to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 4 minutes (for less soft vegetables) or 5 minutes (or softer vegetables). When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10-15 minutes (L0:10) and then move the valve to venting.
- To make the gravy: Place the meat and vegetables on a platter and set aside. Turn the Instant Pot to the saute setting. Make a cornstarch slurry in a small bowl. Stir together 2 Tbsp of cornstarch and 2 Tbsp of cold water until smooth. Stir the slurry into the pot. Whisk. It should thicken the gravy very quickly.
- Serve the gravy with the roast and optional vegetables.
What if my roast is frozen? You can still make this recipe! Just add 20 extra minutes, so 110 minutes instead of 90 minutes.
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Most onion soup mixes are not gluten free. Kroger brand, however, does not contain gluten although it is not labeled as gluten free. Try this homemade recipe and keep it on hand: 1-1/2 cups dried minced onion, 1/4 cup GF beef bouillon powder, 2-1/2 TBS onion powder, 1/2 tsp crushed celery seed, 1/2 teaspoon sugar. 5 Tablespoons of this is about equal to a packet.
- Category: Beef
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1/5 of 2 1/2 pounds rump roast plus serving of gravy
- Calories: 364
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 1370 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Carbohydrates: 9 g
- Protein: 50 g
Keywords: pot roast