Easy Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta–4 ingredient chicken and pasta with basil pesto sauce. Start with frozen chicken breasts and a few minutes later you’ll have an amazing dinner in front of you.
Easy Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta
Hello easy dinner that tastes amazing. My kids and husband raved over this meal and I’ll admit I was pretty happy with the taste to work ratio.
Some of my favorite recipes are those that start with frozen meat. I just love that I can throw frozen meat into the Instant Pot. It makes my procrastinator heart so very happy. If you have thawed chicken you can also use that…the pot will just take less time to come to pressure and you’ll get to enjoy your dinner a few minutes quicker.
I wanted to cook whole chicken breasts and the pasta at the same time and in the same pot. The way that I did that was to cook the pasta using the pot-in-pot method. Using this method made it so the pasta wouldn’t overcook. I use either a fat daddios pan* or one of these stainless steel pans*. I lowered the pan straight on top of the chicken breasts. It seems weird but it really works well. The chicken turned out really tender and moist. I loved the Barilla cellentani pasta* that I used. The curly pasta is my favorite. You can also use rotini pasta or cavatappi pasta as well.
More recipes you’ll love…
What Pressure Cooker Did You Use?
To make Easy Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*. I love this Instant Pot because it has the yogurt making function which I use almost weekly. It has two pressure settings (high and low), and there are also little slots in the handles so that you can rest the lid there instead of putting it down on your counter-top.Print
4 ingredient chicken and pasta with basil pesto sauce. Start with frozen chicken breasts and a few minutes later you’ll have an amazing dinner in front of you.
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (2 chicken breasts), I used frozen
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 pound (8 ounces) Barilla cellentani pasta
- 1 cup basil pesto sauce (I use the Kirkland signature brand from Costco)
- Pour chicken broth into the bottom of the Instant Pot. Place chicken in bottom of pot in a single layer. Salt and pepper the chicken lightly.
- Pour the uncooked pasta into a pan* that fits inside your Instant Pot (I used this one). Cover the pasta with water. About 3 1/2-4 cups of water worked for me. Carefully place the pan on top of the chicken. You can use a foil sling (or one made with a silicone baking mat) to lower the pan on top of chicken.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 10 minutes from thawed chicken or 12 minutes for frozen chicken. When the time is up let the pot sit there for 10-15 more minutes before moving the valve to venting. Remove the lid.
- Carefully, with hot pads, remove the pasta pan. Drain off excess water but save a quarter cup of the water to help the pesto stick to the pasta better.
- Discard the broth. Cut the chicken into pieces. Stir the chicken and pasta together in the Instant Pot and add in the quarter cup drained water and the pesto sauce. Coat the chicken and pasta with the sauce. Scoop onto serving dishes and enjoy!
I used my 6 quart Instant Pot Duo 60 7 in 1*.
To make gluten free: Check your broth to be sure it does not contain gluten. Replace noodles with gluten-free noodles and reduce the cook time by 1 minute.
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
- Serving Size: 1/6 of recipe
- Calories: 495
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 460 mg
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 31 g
- Protein: 34 g
Keywords: chicken, pasta, instant pot recipe
Send Me Free Recipes
Like this recipe for Easy Instant Pot Chicken Pesto Pasta? Get all my new recipes delivered to your email inbox by signing up below.
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.