Chocolate Chip M&M Cookie Bars are something that I make almost weekly! Here’s why:
- The butter doesn’t need to be softened.
- The dough doesn’t need to chill.
- You make it all in one bowl with a spoon and not a mixer.
- Because they are cookie bars they are even faster to make than cookies. Spread in a pan and bake.
- They taste so good!!!
So basically I used my favorite easy chocolate chip cookie recipe, added M&Ms and baked in a 9×13 inch pan for 20-25 minutes at 325. If I need to make a double batch I will double the recipe and spread it in a cookie sheet pan (11 inches by 17 inches) and bake for 20-25 minutes at 325.
These are my favorite chocolate chip cookie bars to make. The work to taste ratio is absolutely perfect. NO CHILLING is necessary and you don’t even use a mixer. I’ve made these probably 50 times and they never get old, especially with the addition of M&Ms.
- 3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) of unsalted butter (no substitutions)
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (100 grams) white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cup (280 grams) all purpose white flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup M&Ms
- Preheat your oven to 325°F. Add the butter to a medium sized microwave safe bowl. If the butter is straight from the refrigerator put it in the microwave for 45 seconds. It should be half melted and half super soft. If the butter was from the freezer it will take a bit longer.
- Add in the brown and white sugar. If you have a kitchen scale *(this is the one *I use and is super cheap) use that instead of measuring cups. It is more precise and will lead to a better cookie.
- Stir the butter and sugar together until smooth with a whisk.
- Add in the egg. Whisk until smooth.
- Add in the egg yolk. Whisk until smooth. (if you don’t know how to separate an egg here is a good tutorial).
- Whisk in the vanilla.
- Add the flour on top of the wet ingredients (use a kitchen scale if possible). Don’t stir just yet. Now add in the baking soda, salt and cornstarch. Now stir with a spoon,folding the flour into the wet mixture rather than mixing or stirring vigorously.
- Now add in the chocolate chips and M&Ms and fold in until combined.
- Spray a 9×13 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
- Use a spatula to spread and dough into the pan evenly.
- Bake on the middle rack for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let the pan sit on a cooling rack for 10 or more minutes. Slice into squares and enjoy! Store leftovers in an airtight container in the freezer.
I like to double this recipe and bake it on a cookie sheet (11 inches by 17 inches).
- Category: Dessert