This is NOT potatoes! Mashed cauliflower is a great way to feel like you're eating mashed potatoes with a fraction of the calories. This side dish is seasoned with garlic, olive oil and Parmesan cheese to make it perfectly tasty for kids and adults alike.
Ideal slow cooker size: 3 quart
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Diced green onion, for garnish
1. Clean the cauliflower and cut off the stems and unusable parts. Quarter the head of cauliflower and place pieces into slow cooker.
2. Fill slow cooker with water until it covers cauliflower. Add a bay leaf to the water.
3. Dump in the garlic and salt.
4. Cover and cook on HIGH for about 4 hours, or until cauliflower is very tender or LOW for about 6 hours.
5. Remove lid and drain off all water (I placed mine in a colander). Discard the bay leaf.
6. Place cauliflower back into slow cooker and add in the olive oil and Parmesan. Mash using a potato masher until desired consistency is reached.
7. Salt and pepper to taste and garnish with green onion. Serve!
This is an easy side dish that is very healthy! It tasted great. Not exactly the texture of mashed potatoes but still a good substitute if you're looking to cut some calories and get a few extra servings of veggies in! 4 stars.
P.S. Make sure to join in all the foodie fun on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!