Makes 8 servings
Ideal slow cooker size: 4-6 quart
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 lbs Jones Creek All-Natural Grass-Fed chuck roast,, cut into 1 ½ inch cubes
½ cup cooked and crumbled bacon
1 (10.75 oz) can beef consommé
1 onion, diced
4 carrots, sliced
3 celery ribs, sliced
1 Tbsp tomato paste
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ tsp dried ground thyme
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
½ lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 cups frozen peas
½ cup burgundy wine or beef broth
¼ cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cold water
Hot cooked mashed potatoes or noodles
1. Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add in the olive oil. When it starts smoking add in the beef being careful to add it in one layer. Let brown on each side of about 7 minutes. Drain off any grease.
2. Add the bacon, beef consommé, onion, carrots, celery, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, bay leaf, Worcestershire sauce and tapioca to slow cooker.
3. Cover and cook on LOW for about 6-8 hours, or until beef is extremely tender.
4. Add in the mushrooms, peas and wine or broth. If it needs to be thickened, combine flour and water in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Add mixture into the slow cooker. Turn to HIGH and let it thicken for about 15-20 minutes (peas and mushrooms should be cooked through also).
5. Discard the bay leaf , salt and pepper to taste and serve over potatoes or noodles.
I used the delicious Jones Creek Beef again for this recipe and loved it again. I'm starting to think the reason beef has typically been my least favorite meat in the past is because I haven't been buying good meat. This is a hearty, comforting meal...perfect for these frigid days :) 4 stars.