USU Casserole–seasoned rice, tender chicken and vegetables with a sprinkling of cheese on top. Made quickly and easily in your Instant Pot.
Today’s recipe is so good! It’s a one pot recipe (it has veggies, carbs and protein) and it has great flavor and is fairly nutritious! My family loved this dinner and I’m pumped to eat some of leftovers for lunch today. I love the colorful array of vegetables included and the subtle but flavorful seasoning blend.
The name of the recipe comes from where I grabbed it from (the Utah State Extension). You can see on the directions on how to make this recipe in the oven, if you prefer. The USU extension also gives super good tips on how to mix and match your own casserole.
- Butter–or olive oil
- Onion–or shallot
- Carrot–or baby carrots
- Mushrooms–I used white button mushrooms. You can also use a can of mushrooms.
- Chicken broth–or water and Better than Bouillon chicken base
- Converted rice–or long grain white rice
- Lemon juice
- Dijon mustard
- Kosher salt
- Garlic powder–or 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- Poultry seasoning
- Smoked paprika
- Chopped cooked chicken–I used rotisserie chicken from Costco (I freeze in 2 cup increments). You can also use 1 pound raw chicken (thighs or breasts) cut into half inch cubes
- Frozen sweet white corn–or a can of drained corn
- Spinach–fresh or frozen
- Heavy cream
- Sharp cheddar cheese–or another type of cheese like colby jack or mozzarella
Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions, celery, carrot and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot. Sprinkle in the rice, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, paprika.
Add in the chicken and corn. Don’t stir.
Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes. Move valve to venting and remove the lid.
Stir in the spinach and cream.
Sprinkle the cheese on top and let it melt (I used my air fryer lid to melt it quickly).
Serve and enjoy.
- This can be an all in one pot dish (it’s got vegetables, carbs and protein). However if you’d like a side dish then serve with a green salad with vinaigrette dressing and some fresh fruit like sliced apples and oranges.
- This recipe is gluten free. This recipe can be dairy free if you leave out the cream and the cheese and use oil in the place of butter.
- I used my 6 quart Instant Pot*. You can also make this in a 3 or 8 quart pot.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container* in the refrigerator for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- What is converted/parboiled rice? Don’t confuse converted rice (or sometimes it is called parboiled rice) with pre-cooked or minute rice. Parboiled rice has been processed in its husk by soaking, steaming, and drying. As a result, all the nutrients from the husk are absorbed into the grain before it’s removed. The starch content alters in the process, making cooked parboiled rice less sticky than regular white rice. The rice kernels aren’t clumpy and glued together instead they are more separated. I found a bag of parboiled rice at Walmart next to the normal long grain white rice. Sometimes I buy it at Winco in the bulk section. I have also found it in the orange box (Ben’s brand) next to other rices.
- Other recipes you can make with heavy cream are Trust Me Casserole and White Chicken Lasagna Soup.
More Instant Pot Chicken and Rice Recipes…
Instant Pot Melissa’s Casserole
An easy chicken, rice, broccoli and cheese casserole that’s made in one pot, the Instant Pot.
Casserole on the Quick
Instant Pot Casserole on the Quick is a fast and easy broccoli, rice and chicken casserole with a crispy panko breadcrumb topping. Comfort food to the max!
You Got This Girl Instant Pot Recipe
An easy, dump-and-go rice, beans and chicken Instant Pot recipe that will give you confidence in the kitchen.
Happy Mountain Casserole
A big scoop of rice is covered in a homemade chicken gravy and then topped with cheese, diced tomatoes and chow mein noodles. It is a happy mountain of ingredients on your plate. Make it fast in your Instant Pot!
Did you know you can filter the recipes on my website to search by meat type, IP or Crockpot, low carb, gluten free, etc.? Use the filter to find exactly what you are looking for.
Seasoned rice, tender chicken and vegetables with a sprinkling of cheese on top. Made quickly and easily in your Instant Pot.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 rib of celery, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/3 cup converted rice
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken (or 1 pound raw chicken cut into half inch cubes)
- 1 cup frozen sweet white corn
- 2 cups chopped spinach
- 2 Tbsp heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Turn Instant Pot to saute setting. When display says HOT add in the butter and let it melt. Add in the onions, celery, carrot and mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and scrape bottom of pot so that nothing is sticking. Turn off Instant Pot.
- Sprinkle in the rice, lemon juice, dijon mustard, salt, pepper, garlic powder, poultry seasoning, paprika. Add in the chicken and corn. Don’t stir.
- Cover Instant Pot and secure the lid. Make sure valve is set to sealing. Set the manual/pressure cook button to 3 minutes. When time is up let pot sit for 10 minutes. Move valve to venting and remove the lid.
- Stir in the spinach and cream. Sprinkle the cheese on top and let it melt (I used my air fryer lid to melt it quickly).
- Serve and enjoy.
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Instant Pot
*Karen Petersen is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.